Author Topic: 500 GP bikes - The Unrideables  (Read 1755 times)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
500 GP bikes - The Unrideables
on: May 25, 2013, 01:14:08 PM
I watched this program on TV a couple of weeks ago in the UK and thought some of you international members would like to see it as well, found that it was available on youtube so here goes

500 GP - THE UNRIDEABLES

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Re: 500 GP bikes - The Unrideables
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:23:30 AM
Cheers Scotsy, i enjoyed that. You've got me wanting a two stroke again. I always wanted one of those RD500 Yamahas in my younger days. I wonder how much they are selling for now  :084:

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:12:52 PM
I'm 33 years old. Wıll be tomorrow, to be exact. When I was a kid, my brothers used to watch the 500 GPs all the time. I basically grew up watching Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey.

Thanks for the video. Just watched the first 2 mins, I get the feeling I will enjoy it.
Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:52:56 PM by Eltar
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:13:51 PM
It reminded me of something that happened at the Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory Park last year. The year before, the star guest was Kenny Roberts. He rode a few laps on his own then a journalist from MCN set off from the pitlane and tucked in behind him and followed him for the rest of the session. In the following weeks MCN was a full page write-up telling how the journalist had followed Roberts and how fast and smooth he still was. Fast forward to last year and the star guest was Kevin Schwantz. As he had done the previous year, the journalist let Schwantz do a few laps on his own then he pulled out of pitlane to tuck in behind him but Schwantz was too fast and the journalist never saw which way he went. It was so funny watching as Schwantz effortlessly streaked round for lap after lap with the poor journalist trying frantically to keep up but slipping further and further behind  :008:
Some of the other guest riders were Fogarty, Hodgson and Christian Sarron but none were as fast as Schwantz  :037:
This years star guest is Wayne Gardner who is still pretty competitive at events such as the Goodwood Revival. Can't wait to see how he goes on one of the 500 Hondas.

Happy birthday Eltar. 

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:01:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Telbert [+]
It reminded me of something that happened at the Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory Park last year. The year before, the star guest was Kenny Roberts. He rode a few laps on his own then a journalist from MCN set off from the pitlane and tucked in behind him and followed him for the rest of the session. In the following weeks MCN was a full page write-up telling how the journalist had followed Roberts and how fast and smooth he still was. Fast forward to last year and the star guest was Kevin Schwantz. As he had done the previous year, the journalist let Schwantz do a few laps on his own then he pulled out of pitlane to tuck in behind him but Schwantz was too fast and the journalist never saw which way he went. It was so funny watching as Schwantz effortlessly streaked round for lap after lap with the poor journalist trying frantically to keep up but slipping further and further behind  :008:
Some of the other guest riders were Fogarty, Hodgson and Christian Sarron but none were as fast as Schwantz  :037:
This years star guest is Wayne Gardner who is still pretty competitive at events such as the Goodwood Revival. Can't wait to see how he goes on one of the 500 Hondas.

Happy birthday Eltar.

Thanks a lot  :821:

Schwantz was epic. To my 9-10 year old ears, Schwantz and Lucky Strike Suzuki used to sound like spells from another dimension. For no apparent reason other than sounding cool. A few years passed, I realized I was really cheering for a legend  :001:
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8