Author Topic: Scotland tour underway.  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Scotland tour underway.
on: May 24, 2013, 06:49:41 PM
Lincoln to New Galloway 244 miles on 80% dry roads in England 100% and sunny in Scotland so far. Up to Fort William tomorrow via Ayr, so keep a look out for a black special you local guys.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Scotland tour underway.
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:42:28 PM
Saxon

What roads are you taking after Glasgow, happy to advise if you don't know your way about.

Unfortunately need to keep children entertained tomorrow, weather looking good for the next couple of days at least.

Mika

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:29:13 PM
Hi Mika. We are taking the A82 all the way to Fort William. Then heading north west to Durness on Sunday, maybe taking in Applecross, depending on the weather, which like you said looks pretty good. Thanks for your offer of advice .

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:38 PM
Saxon

If I can give a bit of advice it would be don't use the A82 all the way, the road at the side of Loch Lomond is rubbish after Tarbet

At Tarbet don't turn right to follow the A82, take the A83 for Inverary. When you get to Inverary turn right just as you go in to the 30mph limit through the archway on to the A819 for Dalmally. You will reach the A85 at aT junction, turn right for Dalmaly and follow back to the A82. It will bring you to another T junction.

If you turn right the Green Welly shop is only a couple of hundred yards away where you can also get fuel. Turn left and it will take you through Glencoe on the A82 towards Fort William.

This detour will only add about 40 minutes to your journey but the roads are much better for the bikes and you dont risk getting hit by a tour bus on the narrow Loch road

If you need any advice drop me a pm and I will give you my mobile

Cheers

Mika

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:26:56 PM
Ok. Thanks Mika. We stayed at Arrochar last year, so we know where that turn off is. Just looked at the map, and it looks a nice road. I know what you mean about the tour buses. Thanks again.

Offline vic1200x

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:36:24 AM
Heading to Glen Coe then Oban today keep a look out for you the weathers to excellent enjoy

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 09:16:18 PM
*Originally Posted by vic1200x [+]
Heading to Glen Coe then Oban today keep a look out for you the weathers to excellent enjoy
Hi Vic. Silver Ct ? I did spot one on the 82 Glencoe as a leader of a group of bikes {of course} . The rider waved , I was too slow ,and said to wifey that was a CT. I  was on my black special in high vis , with wifey in her pink one. Staying at the Clan Macduff near Fort William for a night.
Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:13:32 PM by Saxon747

Offline vic1200x

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 09:25:13 AM
Yip that was me on our way back home from Oban

arab-exile