Author Topic: Advice needed on engine surging  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Doog

• Crosstourer Junior
Advice needed on engine surging
on: May 14, 2013, 09:21:40 PM
Hi Guys

Am pondering about swapping my Tiger 800 for a Crosstourer. While the 800 is a nice wee bike, the engine on the Honda is phenomenal and having had 3 VFR's when younger I kinda miss the V4 and all it's glory. My question is though, when I test drove the CT through town, sitting at a constant speed ie 30 or so mph it seemed to surge or hunt all the time. This only happened at low speed and at constant throttle but I spend a lot of time in towns so would fine this a pain in the aerosol. Was the test bike a freak or is it possible a fuelling or shaft backlash issue? This is the only thing putting me off. Thanks

Oh, and here's my virtual beer to you as it's my first post. Hope it works

:031:
Tigger 800, Wee Strom and beautiful old '82 Pantah

Offline Black Bob

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR800X (Black)
Re: Advice needed on engine surging
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:03:43 AM
Some people report this, and some don't. I experience something of the sort, but I don't think it is the bike 'hunting' and 'surging', I think it's my fault. Given the power of the bike, and the fly-by-wire throttle, I've found it needs a very delicate touch at low speeds. For some reason I appear to have developed the bad habit of a rather 'on-off' throttle control. Other (low-powered) bikes I've ridden recently have been relatively forgiving, but with the CT it responds immediately. You may think you're holding the throttle steady, but the bike reacts to the slightest tweak. I'm having to modify my riding to cope.

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:01:19 PM
Ey up Doog,  :400: to the forum.

When i test-rode the manual CT i noticed the poor fueling on one occasion when stuck in traffic at around 30mph. My previous two bikes were a 955 Tiger and a 1050 Tiger. The low speed fueling was horrendous on the 955 and slightly better on the 1050. Its a common problem with modern fuel injected bikes that are setup to pass emission tests rather than run sweetly. The low speed fueling on my DCT is not great but i get around it by riding in manual rather than automatic so i can select the correct gear for my speed to avoid the problem area of the rev range. Compared to the KTM 990s the fueling is beautiful  :038:

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:21:27 PM
I'm with Bob on this one. I get the same thing. Pop down a gear and away it goes.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:33:24 AM
Was in manual or auto that you tried. I found the auto to be bad for the symptoms you describe. Like another fella said, it requires riding in manual mode round town (the exact place I would want an auto).

You might also be sensitive to it as well, I am. All fuel injected bikes do this to some extent don't they, worst case probably KTM990 and one of the best (for me) was the ST1300.

That's Modern bikes for you. My advice, make sure you always have a Honda from their best years at the back of the garage, circa 1995, so you can ride something decent every now and again  :305:

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:53:49 PM
Never had any problems with my DCT in either of the Auto modes ,I hardly ever use the manual mode ... It may be that  after 4 years on a KTM 990  and a Blackbird befor that ,that I managed to develop a sensative right hand !!........ Other than that I would try a quick trip to  your dealer and have it put on their computerand checked.

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:32:52 PM
I find that trying to keep a constant speed a struggle and blame the sensitive fly by wire throttle. Mine is a manual gearbox and I use a lower gear than my previous bikes. 2nd for a 30mph limit and 3rd for a 40. Not an economical way to ride.
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline Doog

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:36 PM
So it's not just me then? WWW it was the non auto version on the test ride. I have a Tiger 800, a DL650 and an old Pantah, have been riding for almost 30 years so it's not a newbie/born again issue for those that were thinking it :) This might be sad but I try to keep to speed limits in towns (not outside towns though) and it was really noticeable sitting at a constant 30 for the last few miles of my journey. I have to confess though I don't remember what gear I was in so dropping a gear may be the answer I spose. I  plan to test the CT when I take the Tiger in for it's recall. See how it goes. Cheers
Tigger 800, Wee Strom and beautiful old '82 Pantah