Author Topic: Top case and side bags  (Read 2670 times)

Offline jason_anderson

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Top case and side bags
on: May 13, 2013, 09:44:50 AM
Dear fellas, I'd like to know your experiences and need your recommendations about H&B and Givi top cases and side bags for CT.  Appearantly the original ones are inadequate for some reasons (e.g smaller size, water spill inside, colour etc.) Thnaks in advance! 

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
Re: Top case and side bags
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:13:34 AM
*Originally Posted by jason_anderson [+]
Dear fellas, I'd like to know your experiences and need your recommendations about H&B and Givi top cases and side bags for CT.  Appearantly the original ones are inadequate for some reasons (e.g smaller size, water spill inside, colour etc.) Thnaks in advance!

Hi there,

(Sorry for a little Turkish intermission) Hocam kısa bir tanıtsaydınız kendinizi forumun tanışma kısmında fena olmazdı demek ihtiyacı hissettim, yanlış anlamazsınız umarım. Direk üye olup ilk mesajı genel bir soru olunca çok dikkate almayabiliyor forum ahalisi. Ben kendimce cevaplamaya çalışayım.

In the forum, there are numerous topics that deal with the Givi cases in detail, and some about H&B as well. As for the originals, I haven't seen any complaints about the panniers, but there is the water leakage problem with the topcase. If you ask me, and some others probably will agree, the only problem with the original panniers is the ridiculous price Honda is asking. Other than that, I think they are quite good. I would get them if they were somewhat cheaper.

In the Givi products range, the two most commonly used sidecases for CT are Trekkers and V35. Both have about the same width when applied, and neither of them looks bad. If you ask for a recommendation, I myself have chosen Trekkers, but I could have just as easily picked the V35s. There is also the new Givi Trekker Outback coming out this summer, but being made of aluminium, expect to pay a premium price for it. I don't cross deserts on CT, I dont think I will need that much extra ruggedness. Each to his own though, I'm just saying.

Trekkers come in 2 sizes, and I think they look good on CT with 46L top and 33L panniers as a set.

As for H&B, I have used Gobi a few years ago as my topcase, it was a solid topcase. I considered getting the H&B Alu Exclusive for my CT, but the 45L version looked too big for my liking. Its the same size as Trekker 46L, but somehow it looked bigger on my bike despite the equality in size on paper. And thats not what I personally prefer. I want to keep the bike neat and narrow.

This more or less sums up what I have to say about it. I strongly suggest checking the Accessories section of the forum, there are numerous threads in there already.
Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:31:09 AM by Eltar
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:29:31 PM
 :460:  the definative answer me thinks!...One more  plus  for the 'V' series is the  matching coloured trim pieces that can be fitted to the side s,,around £50 /pair..

Offline jason_anderson

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:32:52 PM
Thanks Eltar for both recommendations. I indeed prefer original parts and accessories, yet Honda's original top case and side bags are not very handy for long trips and also have some leakage problem as you had mentioned. Better to visit an H&B and Givi dealer at the weekend and see on the bike! :002:

Offline Munch

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:27:50 PM
Kept the original side panniers and went with the 46l Givi trekker as a top case. Works well and not too heavy when loaded up.

Offline jason_anderson

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:49:46 PM
Finally I have decided and H&B Xplorers mounted. Great look, yet difficult for my wife to get on and off even though she's only 50 kg. I must admit the side case holders spoil the look after moving the cases off. Let's see how they work in long trips. :046: