Author Topic: So today I rode 3 different bikes back to back  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
So today I rode 3 different bikes back to back
on: May 11, 2013, 11:16:32 PM
Hi guys,

Yesterday was the final "chilled" riding that my CT is ever going to have, as I managed to finally get over with the 1st 1000kms, less than 1 week after my purchase. Today we had an 8 bike collective ride, with my highschool bikers club (all members from the same highschool I went to, ages between 59 and 33. I guess we are probably unique.) A day worth remembering for me, but that's not the story for now.

It was the 1st time I could take my new CT for a collective ride. Friends had already seen it, but never in action. The group consisted of: My CT, 2x '13 1200GS, a Triumph 800, a BMW F800GS, a NC700X, a CBF 1000 and and a CBR250 (our newbie friend who recently started riding). We took turns leading the way for our newest friend, I believe he learnt a lot in 1 day.

Anyway, back on topic: I had the chance to ride the Triumph 800 and the new GS, each for roughly 80-100 kms. Both friends asked to swap bikes as they wanted to see what the CT is. It gave me a good chance to truly see where my bike stands as well.

1st, I will do what every Captain Obvious does: Our bike really feels heavy WHEN ridden back to back with those 2 others. Triumph 800 has every right to be so light, I wasn't honestly expecting the new GS to feel so light. I wasn't expecting the new GS to be able to deliver such strong punches either. And both have real good suspension compared to CT. Thats my humble opinion only, but I do not think you guys will disagree with me on that.

Both of them great bikes. If only their prices weren't ridiculous in Turkey I would suggest my other friends to seriously consider buying them: CT=16500 Euros Triumph 800= 15500 Euros GS=25500 Euros. All prices are for the most basic model. (I told you they are ridiculous, right?)

First, I will pass what my 2 friends who changed bikes with me today have to say about it:

1) At first, it feels intimidatingly heavy for a bike of this type, yet it disappears real fast when moving.

2) V4 is cracking. Amazing. This, coming from a fresh GS owner with the new (and I think, potentially very good, as long as it doesnt malfunction) engine, means something to me.

3) Suspensions could use some improvement, esp considering the crappy quality of roads in Turkey.

4) It leans into turns real nice and easy. Its deceptively nimble (coming from the Triumph owner).

5) On highway speeds, its like a bullet from a gun that will pierce through any armor and keep going on its decided course no matter what (thats an exact translation of what he actually said about its stability at higher speeds like 160-200 range).

6) Why did Honda bother putting on that imitation of a screen?

So, its coming from 2 guys who know nothing about a CT, unlike us all in this from. Their words sound like echo to my ears. They disliked the original screen,  think its somewhat heavy, suspensions aren't bad but is not on par with the other two. And they loved pretty much everything else there is about it. The seat, the ride quality, the engine.

When I got back on my own bike on the way back, I truly felt like "well, I'm home". Thats about as good a feeling as anyone can get when riding their bike imo. Where does that leave me?

It leaves me wondering how to improve the suspensions. I have the feeling that if I manage that, it will be truly perfect.

Just wanted to share. Thanks for reading this wall of text  :031:
Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:38:57 PM by Eltar
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Bernie

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT, 2012, silver
Re: So today I rode 3 different bikes back to back
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:48:25 AM
Thanks for sharing this experience and the opinions. I guess that is a very fair comparison.

Bernie

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:30:25 AM
 :460:  Great story, and it sounds like you have a great bunch of friends.

I think, whether CT owner or not, we all find the same great things and not so great things out about the CT when we ride it. I'm sure that Honda will 'tinker' with the bike and an updated version (suspension) may hit the roads soon (suspension is the main talking point with quiet a few people)

For now, I am more than happy with my 'Bullet' but look forward to any improvements Honda may make.

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:49:58 AM
I am more than pleased with my bike in the first 1000 kms. Riding other good bikes (and believe me, that Triumph and new GS felt every bit like the great bikes they are) didn't make me feel disappointed at all, it gave me a chance to be honest with myself above all. And honestly, I am delighted with my CT.

That shouldn't necessarily mean the bike is perfect. It is very close to perfect FOR ME, and thats it. Somewhat better suspension and we would all smile a slight bit more i guess  :001:.

Its 21 degrees and sunny outside. Enough typing, lets enjoy the CT some more  :031:
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:57:43 AM
We love our CT's  :152:  There are loads of great bikes, and we all love the one we chose, whatever it my be.

My son is looking at the Tiger 800 when he can ride a 'full' licence next March. At 210kgs and 95PS, the little Tiger 800 is good for just about everything - my son is looking forward to trading in his NC700S for a little cat.

In Germany the Tiger 800 is €9000 - discounted price with ABS. He wishes it was 2014 already!

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:09:42 AM
I am SURE your son will like the Tiger 800. I did, being the owner of a CT. From a NC700S, that tiger WILL sound like a raging tiger. He will be delighted.

Only his wallet will dislike it, nothing beats NC700 in economy. Well, that also depends on who's paying the bills, so I dunno  :001:
average on my VFR1200X

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 11:47:41 AM
*Originally Posted by Eltar [+]
Its 21 degrees and sunny outside. Enough typing, lets enjoy the CT some more  :031:

Today is Mother's Day in Germany, so our kids are coming round for cake - no riding today  :003:

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 04:21:54 PM
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
Today is Mother's Day in Germany, so our kids are coming round for cake - no riding today  :003:

Same in Turkey. We already had the family breakfast at my parents. Enjoying The Bosphorus + sisha + book combo now  :001:
average on my VFR1200X

arab-exile