Author Topic: Anyone got a biking related bucket list?  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Anyone got a biking related bucket list?
on: May 10, 2013, 11:49:55 PM
For those who don't know what a "bucket list" is it's a list of things you would like to do before you "kick the bucket", "snuff it", "pop your clogs", die etc.  :019:

A few years ago i decided that i would like to own a British bike, an Italian bike, a BMW a KTM and a Harley. I also wanted to visit all the major motorcycle racing racetracks in the UK and own a V4 and a two-stroke. I've now managed to visit all the racetracks except Castle Combe and my last 2 bikes were Triumphs so the list was getting shorter. I really like the look of the 1200 Ducati Multistrada and Guzzi Stelvio but after a test ride i prefered the Crosstourer to both the Italian bikes but fortunately it's a V4 so the list is still getting shorter.

Anyone else got any biking related bucket lists?   

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Anyone got a biking related bucket list?
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 12:03:03 PM
Now my son is riding, I want to go all over Europe with him, and we also want to ride across/around America on our own bikes. I'd also like to go to New Zealand.

We start this August and plan an 'Adventure' every year for as long as we can. I'm lucky that we are mates, so we should have some good times together.

So my 'Bucket List' is places to ride to with my son.  :305:

Offline Black Bob

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR800X (Black)
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:09:58 PM
Once death is the only thing you've got left to live for it puts everything else into perspective. I've found the quality of life begins to improve when you realise you have time on your hands, but not on your side. That's why I'm riding again now - I either do it, or I don't - there's no more 'doing it tomorrow' when you've only got today.

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:41:41 PM
Doc, rather than use your own bike to tour America why not hire a Harley (if only for a day) to chug around the highways? Does that not appeal to you? I must admit that in my younger days i hated Harleys with a passion as they were big, heavy, slow, ill-handling barges yet now i'd quite like a blast on one just to see what they are like. It's weird how you change as you grow older  :084:

Bob, i hope i'm still riding at your age  :037:. It's strange how you've grown older yet chosen a modern bike yet as i grow older i get the urge to own an older bike, i don't know which one yet though  :084:   

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 09:58:56 PM
My bucket is similiar to Doc's. I want to have ridden my bike on every continent before I die. Continent may be the wrong way of putting it: I want to ride across Europe including Scandinavia, Asia including Japan etc etc. I want to set foot, or tyre in this case, all over the world, record it and leave it behind.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:40:48 AM
*Originally Posted by Telbert [+]
Doc, rather than use your own bike to tour America why not hire a Harley (if only for a day) to chug around the highways? Does that not appeal to you? I must admit that in my younger days i hated Harleys with a passion as they were big, heavy, slow, ill-handling barges yet now i'd quite like a blast on one just to see what they are like. It's weird how you change as you grow older  :084:

The idea of riding a Harley for a day is OK, but we want to ride across America the way we ride here - and we can only do that on our own bikes. It's actually cheaper to take your own bike than it is to hire a bike for 2 months.

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ducati Diavel CR
  • City / Town: Roswell
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:26:56 PM
Nice topic Telbert. I've owned multiple British, Italian and BMW motorcycles, but alas only ridden KTM's; particularly enjoying the SMT, so the new 1190 Adventure must be fun. I've also been to most of the UK race tracks, ridden on many, owned inline 4's, triples, twins, two-strokes and ridden six cylinder bikes too. So getting a few ticks sorted on the list bike wise. I think my oustanding ticks are more related to specific rides. I'd still like to ride:

1) Stelvio Pass
2) Blue Ridge Parkway (full length)
3) Highway 1

I've ridden in the Pyrenees, and on the Cherohala Skyway and the Deal's Gap Dragon. They're probably my favourite rides, along with the best that England and Wales have to offer, in the B660 (Bedford to Kimbolton section) and A483 Newtown to Builth Wells. If you get the chance to ride any of those, then you're a very lucky biker indeed!
 :152:

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:15:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet [+]
Nice topic Telbert. I've owned multiple British, Italian and BMW motorcycles, but alas only ridden KTM's; particularly enjoying the SMT, so the new 1190 Adventure must be fun. I've also been to most of the UK race tracks, ridden on many, owned inline 4's, triples, twins, two-strokes and ridden six cylinder bikes too. So getting a few ticks sorted on the list bike wise. I think my oustanding ticks are more related to specific rides. I'd still like to ride:

1) Stelvio Pass
2) Blue Ridge Parkway (full length)
3) Highway 1

I've ridden in the Pyrenees, and on the Cherohala Skyway and the Deal's Gap Dragon. They're probably my favourite rides, along with the best that England and Wales have to offer, in the B660 (Bedford to Kimbolton section) and A483 Newtown to Builth Wells. If you get the chance to ride any of those, then you're a very lucky biker indeed!
 :152:

Bloody hell, it looks like you've got most of the bike boxes ticked  :037:   How about a three wheeler, a sidecar or trike? I've never ridden either of them but i'll give anything a go  :002:

I'm going to have to check out autoroute to find out where most of those roads are, even the B660 and A483  :034:

arab-exile