Author Topic: 6th gear pair modification: too slow 2B fast and autonomous.  (Read 1954 times)

Offline voyager888

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200X
  • City / Town: Moscow
On my trip Moscow-Budapest (approx. 2000km) i was faced with one unpleasant CT feature: on 110-120 it has 18-21km/litre
but on 130kmph already 15-17km/l.... at 150 - 170  (10-12km/l) - it eats more but torque still enough to move fast with 2 riders and 3 luggages.
Now i'm dreaming of 5 and 6th pairs modification: 6th instead of 5th and 6th=0.83
As i saw X and XD has different gear sets so it's just a matter of investigation to get parts from Honda or somewhere else...

Does anybody knows something?
Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:40:21 AM by voyager888

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Hi Voyager888.
18-21 klms/ltr is roughly equiv to 51-59 mpg. Its not really possible on a CT with 2 up on a motorway at 120klm, its only a "spot check" of your current situation, may'be you roll off the throttle behind traffic or are on a slight decline, I have watched this metering also on the CT, and when it starts up an incline it takes 5 seconds to adjust downwards and then upwards when back on the flat. You need to take an average of about 15 - 16 klms per 1 litre and try to adjust your riding style around this.
On bigger trips like yours I find the consumption does not increase at higher motorway speeds ( like 140kph) on average compared to riding to work etc.
Cheers 
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline voyager888

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200X
  • City / Town: Moscow
hello thetrecker!
18-21 is an average on 300-350km distance run. on the same conditions another data is given.
For example, i have to cover 1000km to Brest - where the Polish border to EC, so there is a straight like an arrow M1/E30 road
without climbings and downhills, there isn't a lot of place of interest - so i'd like to go 150kmph for an hour and cover much than
on 110kmph, but fuel flew out too fast...
The same picture in germany on autobahn - i like go faster but without faster refueling. As i saw XD already has "longer" gear ratio...

arab-exile