Author Topic: Scottish Weekend Away:)  (Read 2104 times)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Scottish Weekend Away:)
on: May 08, 2013, 09:22:19 AM
Hi Gadgies,
Well I got up on Sunday morning and the sun was out:) So a quick chat with Fifi and it was decided that a run on the CT was on the cards.....but where? Looked at the google map and picked Ullapool. So on the tinternet again and found a B&B in Ullapool. The stage was set and all within 20minutes of getting out of bed:)

Left Peterhead and headed for Mintlaw, Old Deer, New Deer, Cuminstown, Turrif, Forgue, Huntly, Dufftown, Granton-on-Spey, and stopped at Inverness for a soup an sandwich.

Then it was onwards on the A835 to Ullapool. If you have never been on this road, you need to make sure you pencil it in for your next Scottish run. The section along Loch Glascarlochis lovely:)

Found our biker friendly B&B (Riverside)and unpacked. We later went out to the 'Arch' for a nice meal. Both place are recommended...I though they were good value. Miles 185.

Got up Monday and the weather had changed. We were going to go back via Lairg. but decided to go straight back to the Inverness. Here's a couple of pictures taken before leaving Ullapool.

Got to Inverness and the sun was out again. Fifi suggested going over the Lecht...wooowhooo:). So leaving Inverness down the A9 cutting off at Carrbridge for G-on-Spey. Then a right over the Lecht to Tomimtoul.
View from top of Lecht...you can just see the road winding away in the distance.

We then made our way to Alford for an ice cream coming down the Strathdon road. I've never done this road before.....really nice:)
Once at Alfrod, Fifi suggested fish and chips in Stonehaven (you've got to love her lol) So off we went to Stoney via Peterculter and the back road over to the coast. We had your supper and then thought we better head home. Some pictures of Stonehaven:

Headed home through 'Aberdoom' and took the coast road through Newburgh. The sun was just starting to get very low in the sky. I had a bright idea...let's go to Slains Castle. So after a wee bit of offroad mud tracks here we go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Slains_Castle

It was a cracking weekend and some great biking roads and views.
Total of 421 miles over the two days. Average 48mpg.

PS. Just noticed I don't have 'hero blobs'. I was wondering why it was not touching down going round some of the corners. I can vouch for the CT going right over to the edge of the tyre two up with no problems at all. Loving the CT:)
Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:28:11 AM by slomogadgie
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Scottish Weekend Away:)
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:52:02 PM
Nice write up and Ullapool looks its familiar wet self!

No hero blobs as such but the pegs will touch down on  :062:

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:58:36 PM
Cracking photos, me and the missus will be there in july, up to glen coe village,  applecross, skye, oban etc

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:30 PM
Nice write-up Slomo  :028:. Cracking roads and scenery. Had to chuckle to myself when reading it though as you and Fifi sound like me and my missus. We can't go for a ride out without feeding our faces at every opportunity  :001:
Our last trip was to Castle Howard where they have a farm shop and coffee shop that is biker friendly and packed with cream cakes. The top box was crammed full with munchies when we left.

My fondest memory of our weekend up at Knockhill a few years ago is of the strawberries we had at Kinross. Best strawberries ever  :028:

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:55:46 PM
Nice write up and pic's Slomo  :152:. Two weeks on Friday the wife and I will be starting our 1000+ miler over 7 days, with 5 of them covering Scotland from south to north, following the west coast, then down to the east.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 08:37:43 AM
Thanks guys. It was a very 'spur of the moment' trip. Typical Slomo planning....not!:)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.