Author Topic: why is the crosstourer the heaviest adventure bike?  (Read 4978 times)

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
I wa wondering what parts of the crosstourer so heavy. The 1200 gs is approximately 30 kg lighter, however other shafties are also heavy but not as heavy as the crosstourer. I do noticenthe weight when the bike is two up and riding the twisties a bit.
Still a great bike though  :821:

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: why is the crosstourer the heaviest adventure bike?
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:06 AM
Because it is built with quility materials I think, My GSses were lighter yes, they were also at the dealers more often...
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Carl

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:35:01 AM
In large part because it has a big V4.  The best motor of them all.  I'm quite happy to sacrifice some weight, which I don't feel even in the tight stuff, for that sweet motor.

:001:

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:34:42 AM
I thought quality equalled light weight i.e magnesium, carbon, titanium etc.

Is the engine particularly heavy, or is it the frame. There is not much bodywork on the bike. Im really curious what makes the bike such a heavyweight  :435:

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:44:16 AM
This 30kg difference is with the watercooled GS. With the classic GS it is a difference of about 60kg. But to be honest, I can't feel these 60kg's. (maybe I will when I have to put the bike back on its wheels! ;-)

Offline bender

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:30:04 AM
It was clearly designed with the Spanish market in mind.  A very strong (an heavy) frame is needed to resist Spanish people weight...German people are little butterflies compared to us, so BMW have no need to build such frame.

Well, maybe it's not a great theory but at least I have got one...

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:27:22 AM
There's got to be an extra 10 kg's in the wire wheels alone. Couldn't believe how heavy they are when I took them off for a tyre change recently.

The basic GS which is the published weight has alloys which I imagine are considerably lighter.

Where the rest of the weight is I've no idea. I do notice it when moving the bike around but it does disappear as soon as you're moving

What does the VFR1200f weight ?

Offline bender

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:42:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
There's got to be an extra 10 kg's in the wire wheels alone. Couldn't believe how heavy they are when I took them off for a tyre change recently.

The basic GS which is the published weight has alloys which I imagine are considerably lighter.

Where the rest of the weight is I've no idea. I do notice it when moving the bike around but it does disappear as soon as you're moving

What does the VFR1200f weight ?
It's 10 kg lighter, more or less