Author Topic: Seat Height - GS to CT  (Read 5521 times)

Offline The dogs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Man Highlander
  • City / Town: St Martin
Seat Height - GS to CT
on: May 02, 2013, 04:47:12 PM
I manage quite easily with the seat height on my standard GS. Am I likely to find the CT a problem with a 31 1/2  inch inside leg as not tried a bike to date for size. i did have a GS Adventure before my standard GS and coped with a low seat on that. Any feedback folks would be grateful.
This is the last one.........honest

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Seat Height - GS to CT
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:29:49 PM
Mmm...you do know why they don't sell Crosstourers in Japan, right?  :745:

Seriously though, you should sit, ride and decide...until then, all that we say is only speculative :002:

Is there a dealer near you with some Demo bikes?

Offline Black Bob

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR800X (Black)
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:25:22 PM
I'm 5ft 8ins with a 29in inside leg and I manage. The CT is 9mm higher than the Transalp it replaced, so I'd had a bit of practice. Most of the time I 'tip-toe' at halts, but you soon get the technique of sliding a buttock off the seat when necessary, and once you get a foot flat on the ground you have a stable 'tripod' with a firm foot and two wheels. The weight needs some getting used to under these circumstances, and you have to look for level ground to stop; but all this is a small price to pay for the time you spend MOVING with that fantastic motor. Doc has the best idea - you have to try it for yourself - but if I can mange, then you can manage; but it depends whether or not you want to settle for 'managing'. I fell in love with the CT as soon as they released the press photographs, but thought it would be too tall. Just sitting on the demo bike convinced me.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:41:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Black Bob [+]
I'm 5ft 8ins with a 29in inside leg and I manage. The CT is 9mm higher than the Transalp it replaced, so I'd had a bit of practice. Most of the time I 'tip-toe' at halts, but you soon get the technique of sliding a buttock off the seat when necessary, and once you get a foot flat on the ground you have a stable 'tripod' with a firm foot and two wheels. The weight needs some getting used to under these circumstances, and you have to look for level ground to stop; but all this is a small price to pay for the time you spend MOVING with that fantastic motor. Doc has the best idea - you have to try it for yourself - but if I can mange, then you can manage; but it depends whether or not you want to settle for 'managing'. I fell in love with the CT as soon as they released the press photographs, but thought it would be too tall. Just sitting on the demo bike convinced me.

Love conquers all!  :062:

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:51 PM
You could always get the seat lowered to make things a little easier. I got about 3/4" shaved off the front and 1" added to the pillion area so the missus had a better view over my head. She was moaning that a couple of extra inches would be nice, i assumed she was talking about the bike seat but i wasn't really paying attention  :084:

The guy who did the mods, Tony Archer, also fitted a gel pad front and rear and recovered the seat with grippier material as the original Honda cover wouldn't fit properly with the extra padding. I only got the seat lowered a little as i was worried about making the seating position too cramped. Jobs a guddun now  :028:

Tony Archer is based in Huddersfield which is a bit of a hike for you but another forumite based "dahn sarf" got his seat modded a lot closer to home. If you do a search you should find his post (apologies to the guy in question whos name escapes me).

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:00:38 PM
She was moaning that a couple of extra inches would be nice, i assumed she was talking about the bike seat but i wasn't really paying attention   :745:  You know the saying Terry ?
Yorkshire born,Yorkshire bred,weak in't arm,and little in bed  :745:

10 mm here 10 mm there. It might be cheaper to get some platform glam boots, or get a cobbler to bond on another sole. Unless you are a 6' 1" bean pole who can get both feet flat on the floor :164:  :007:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:17:16 PM
*Originally Posted by The dogs [+]
I manage quite easily with the seat height on my standard GS. Am I likely to find the CT a problem with a 31 1/2  inch inside leg as not tried a bike to date for size. i did have a GS Adventure before my standard GS and coped with a low seat on that. Any feedback folks would be grateful.

CT feels lower than the standard GD IMO, you won't have any problems  :031:

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:21:05 PM
Anyone fitted the lowering kit ? There are a few around £60 and lower by 30mm ... if so, do you have to do anything to the front or just fit the kit plates to the rear ?