Author Topic: ActionCam - Panasonic HX-WA30  (Read 19364 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
ActionCam - Panasonic HX-WA30
on: April 30, 2013, 12:32:06 PM
After some serious research - and deciding what I actually wanted to do with a video camera - I've decided to buy this one:

ActionCam - Panasonic HX-WA30

So why this one?

It can do everything, and I can use it everywhere - and without complicated and expensive accessories that you need with a e.g. GoPro.

The mounting point at the bottom is perfect for the bike, and I can quickly remove it to use as a hand-held camcorder. Using the screen to set up the angle on the bike is good, but when you close the screen recording continues and saves loads of battery life. Even with the screen open, recording time is over an hour with the battery.

I'm going to get one on Thursday and give it a go on my tour this weekend. I'll show some pictures of it mounted on the bike on Thursday - and I'll post the video results next week.

I'm already chuffed that I found this baby - and all for €319 - Bargain!

Offline The dogs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Man Highlander
  • City / Town: St Martin
Re: ActionCam - Panasonic HX-WA30
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:55:15 PM
Hey Doc, Checked it out on their website and it looks really good. What about the mounting for the bike,whats out there.

This is the last one.........honest

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:09:41 PM
I am following this. Keep us informed, please.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:16:32 PM
I couldn't wait, so just bought the camera - in blue. Just charging the batteries and then I'll fit it to the bike and post a picture.

It looks good, feel very light, and it's great to be able to see where it's pointing before you start recording.

Road test video might have to wait until tomorrow - as the missus has left me some chores again - and I'm on holiday  :003:

Offline Acrosland

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Haworth
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:33:36 PM
Hi Doc, camera looks good, how are the chores going?

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:06 PM
So is this just a case of pluggin into your PC and watching/downloading etc? Does it take 'stills' as well?
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 05:16:37 PM
Well, we managed to test my son's Sony AS15 Action Cam and my new Panasonic HX-WA30 today on the CT. The idea was to try a 'proper' Action Cam against the Panasonic to see if there's any difference.

I tried mounting on the crash bar and on the handlebar - alas, no matter what we did the vibration on both cameras just made the picture too bad. The Panasonic was the best at full HD1080p but not perfect. I not going to upload any videos because the quality just wasn't good enough.

The CT puts lots of vibration through the crash bars, although now I'm wondering if the unusual tread wear on the scorpions is contributing to the problem.

Looks like I will have to forget videoing my rides, because I don't really want a camera on my helmet and the vibration is currently just to bad.  :232:

Not a happy chappy  :003: - but managed 200km of sunny testing  :046:

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:23:24 PM
There must be more to it than that.

I have used Dogcamsport bullet cams and gopro cams on the following without any trouble at all,

Pan European
R1200GS
KTM 990 Adventure
R1200GSA
Ducati MTS1200
Africa Twin
Husky SMR450
KTM 690 SMC

As well as plenty of in-line fours.

Most of the above are fairly vibbie twins or singles and the footage has always been lovely.

Surely your mounting system must be troublesome.

I don't mean to be critical, just want to get to the bottom of it so you can be happy with things.

Recent Topics