Author Topic: Riding Gear - Boots  (Read 1379 times)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Riding Gear - Boots
on: April 27, 2013, 08:32:23 PM
I hope this has not been asked before (I mean Doc, have you been asked this before), but after seeing a picture in the gallery showing your boots after the crash......do you think that the Daytona boots saving you from worse injury/damage. I'm not sure this link will work.

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=566

I had a nasty spill about 15 years ago where I came off the bike in the corner and landed in a park. On the way from bike to park, my leg hit a fence post and the force of it whiplashed my ankle round with such force that it broke in 3 places. I reckon if I had my Daytonas on that day I would have managed to walk away with a sore leg. It cost me 6 weeks pay (sick pay only).

I try to buy the best I can afford these days (within reason of course), and my clothing (helemts, boots, gloves etc) all come higher on the list of requirements. I've had many a debate with other bikers about buying IE, 79GBP pair of boots, and 250quid on a piece of carbon fibre belly pan, or seat hump etc. I went on a run with a guy not long ago who had bought a new can and rearsets at great expense, but wondered why, when the rain came on, he got soaked to the skin in his 50quid  'waterproof' textile!!!

what's the general thoughts on expense on protective clothes vs. fancy extras.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Riding Gear - Boots
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:51:37 PM
Hi Slomo,
I'm surprised no-one has asked this question sooner, but I'm not surprised that it was you that asked (compliment).

I firmly believe that had I not been wearing these new Daytona boots, I would have lost my foot. I had some very old boots that had gone very soft over the years, and bought the Nonstop GTX boots just 2 weeks before my accident. I'm so glad I did because they did save my foot.

I try to buy the best protective gear that I can, and have also gone over to a high-Vis Gortex Jacket to help the blind on our roads to see me. When I need new protective kit it gets priority over everything else.

I bought the same boots again this year after I got back on the bike. Maybe I should write and thank Daytona for making such good boots. It's reassuring to know that the protective kit you are wearing will look after you when you really need it.

I for one am now a life-long Daytona boot wearer  :020:

Cheers,
Doc

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:45:39 PM
Yep! I think they are a great boot. I have the EVO GTX ones. Comfy and feel very 'safe' if you know what I mean. The only slight issue I have is that I find it hard to 'snick' my toe under the gear lever on the Tuono. I think that's more to do with the rearsets that come with the bike, than the boot being of poor design. No problems on CT though. I had HG boots before that and they have been really good as well, but don't feel as....well, safe as the Daytonas.
Not went the Hi-Viz route yet.....it might come when I buy a new textile jacket though.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Splice

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 12:25:13 AM
Yep wouldnt be walking today and would have had my right foot amputated if I wasn't wearing Daytonas.Best boots by a mile and a bit like triggers broom as I am on my fourth replacement outer boots.