Author Topic: MCN SHOOTOUT - What a load of b........ks  (Read 5163 times)

Offline The dogs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Man Highlander
  • City / Town: St Martin
MCN SHOOTOUT - What a load of b........ks
on: April 25, 2013, 10:16:27 PM
Just finished reading this classic piece of crap reporting where typically the MS gets top marks and the Tiger not far behind. Just goes to show that they still haven't got the picture yet....why take them to the IOM......Bloody pointless.
This is the last one.........honest

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Re: MCN SHOOTOUT - What a load of b........ks
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:06:39 PM
Its good for a laugh though mate. Nearly every week i ask myself why i still buy it but i still do  :138:

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:29:36 PM
I don't really buy mags anymore. If I see something on the cover I might check it out. Mostly RIDE or Bike I buy. I think I like reading about the gear etc. I've been into bikes for 25-30 years now, however along the way I have also dabbled in Hi-Fi, golf, guitars (still like playing). I hav noticed that it doesn't matter what 'hobby' you may have, and what gear you might have bought.....there's always someone saying the item B is better than A.

For example. I have a Gibson Les Paul. Now, some folk think this is a great guitar and it is......however, whenever I took the plunge and bought one.....what do I read in the next mag? something like 'Nothing beats the sound of a Fender Stratocaster, it is so open sounding and does not stamp it's foot across the sound like gibson's Size 12 hobnail boot, which can sometimes muddy the sound of a track/mix' .......argghhhh!!! Did I sell the Les Paul and buy a Strat.......nope!
Same with bikes. by all means check out the mags to see what's out there to narrow down the 'to try' list. Go and try them out...pick the one that suits your, budget, needs and then don't look at another 'shout out' which contains your bike in the list. Chances are the testers will find something bad to say about it :)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:42:12 AM
@ Slomogadgie, exactly SAME thoughts on things there  :047:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 07:47:32 AM
You are so right!!! Unfortunately, a lot of guys still think that what is in a mag, is more or less as a bible! If it's in my mag, it must be correct!!!!   :745:

I agree that you need some info before you buy something like a bike/car, but pls still follow your heart!

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 03:48:34 PM
If its not about a Ducati/Triumph or KTM then MCN is not interested. I am sure those three manufacturers bankroll MCN(Motor Cyle News).

When I twittered this they got all bent out of shape and denied it flatly.

I also only get RIDE or BIKE now all the rest are about crotch rockets and how far you can wheelie at 120mph. Horses for courses I guess. Honda's are to bland for them unless you talk about the Blade.
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 02:02:44 PM
I used to read all of the mags mentioned in this thread...... all the same old same old crap!
Then I discovered Adventure Bike Rider and Motorcycle Sport and Leisure and find they are far more diverse and seem to be less biased.
They cover topics more relevant to big trail bikes and touring bikes. ABR has some great riders own travel tales which are informative and inspiring.
Might have to search around to find them - WH Smiths in UK usually stock them.... enjoy  :001:

Offline The dogs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Man Highlander
  • City / Town: St Martin
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:06:10 PM
*Originally Posted by veejay [+]
I used to read all of the mags mentioned in this thread...... all the same old same old crap!
Then I discovered Adventure Bike Rider and Motorcycle Sport and Leisure and find they are far more diverse and seem to be less biased.
They cover topics more relevant to big trail bikes and touring bikes. ABR has some great riders own travel tales which are informative and inspiring.
Might have to search around to find them - WH Smiths in UK usually stock them.... enjoy  :001:
just reading through this thread and read yours and totally agree. Both ABR and MSL arrive by post as I subscribe online annually to both. But what I will say in my opinion that is, I have a love for Aussie road tests they take the bikes all over the bloody place, fantastic. The Crosstourer has some really great stuff on YouTube that where you find the best reviews, from people like you and me.
This is the last one.........honest

arab-exile