Author Topic: If you're in need of cheering up  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
If you're in need of cheering up
on: April 23, 2013, 09:46:24 PM
buy tomorrows MCN. A couple of weeks ago they did a group test of the true all rounder adventure bikes (their words not mine). The new GS, KTM 1190, Triumph Explorer and Super Tenere. Tomorrow is the group test of the less capable also-rans, the CT, Multistrada, Stelvio, Versys etc.

Last time MCN did an adventure bike group test the Explorer was hailed as the new king, yet when the individual scores were added together it only narrowly beat the CT. If i remember correctly the Triumph was rated a 9 for off-road ability and the CT only a 5 or 6 which swung the total score in the Explorers favour. In the recent group test the Triumph was criticized as being rubbish off-road  :087:  How has it suddenly become so bad since their last test? Even more puzzling is the fact that the Explorer tested was the new hardcore XC version with spoked wheels etc for off-road use which should have been better than the standard model  :087: These guys are so inconsistent its untrue  :008:

Lets be honest, all these bikes are rubbish for serious off-road use unless ridden by a Dakar legend, so why pretend otherwise. Lets see what tripe the power rangers can come up with this time  :008:

Enjoy your CT no matter what they say.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Re: If you're in need of cheering up
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 10:38:30 PM
 :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461:
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:39:12 PM
Wouldn't swap my Honda Crosstourer DCT for anything on the market at present. Does everything I could want and more!!! It's a truly capable and unassuming bike that can do pretty much anything any other bike can do without having to brag about it ;-) !!!
Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:44:14 PM by cozmo1589

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:49:56 PM
*Originally Posted by cozmo1589 [+]
It's a truly capable and unassuming bike that can do pretty much anything any other bike can do without having to brag about it ;-) !!!

Cosmo min, I think you have hit it on the head there.

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:06:51 PM
Well, the power rangers didn't disappoint. That's the best laugh i've had since their last group test  :008:

How on earth did the Guzzi Stelvio manage the standing quarter mile in 12.28 seconds yet the CT took 13.37   :084:  Perhaps it was because the CT they tested was the notoriously slow silver version  :038: The Stelvio i tested was a right slug with no whizz for rapid overtaking. They claim the top speed of the Stelvio as 129.26 mph. What they didn't tell us was that it took 5 hours to get up to that speed  :001:. They raved about the SMTs acceleration yet the one i tested was quite gutless. I expected it to be an animal yet when i opened the throttle it didn't go any faster it just vibrated more and the low speed fuelling was shocking. I really expected to like the bike but was very disappointed.

The Multistrada scored 10 for styling/appeal yet the CT got 7.25. How can you rate any bike on looks, surely that's subjective?

The three bikes they mentioned all the time were the Multistrada, KTM SMT and Versys but there was no mention of the Kawasakis wallowy, soft handling, yet in last years review of the Versys it got slated for its handling. It must have magically improved  :084:.

I also love the way they mention that the CTs screen takes 10 minutes to raise yet some of the other bikes screens can be adjusted in seconds. They make it sound as though they are constantly adjusting their screens. I only raised mine once and it was fine so i left it there. I must be doing something wrong  :084:

What a set of jokers. I can't believe anyone would buy a bike on their recommendation.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:46:52 PM
Aye T min, I hear what your saying. I agree with most of what you say, but I have to say that there are some very good looking bike out there that the majority of people would say are good looking, and there are also some horrible looking bikes that we could say the same thing about. So yes looks are subjective.....but there are defo lookers, and some hounds. I think the MS is a nice looking bike. I also like the looks of the CT (even though when I first saw it I was not sure about it). Interesting thing that I've noticed though. I have had several non bikers come to me and say 'is that one of those GS things?'...Strange but true.

We always want our bikes to come top in polls etc because we like them and have spent a lot of money buying them. However journos just get on and ride them for a job. Saying that they do seem to have a 'flavour of the month' at times.

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:53:00 PM
I don't care what they wright about the CT. From all the bikes mentioned above, none of them is a real off-road bike. Period!
Today I took the bike out for a 400 km trip, and I enjoyed every km. Sometimes I think I'm driving an exclusive bike because it's so difficult to spot another CT.

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:39:00 PM
 :0461: :0461: :305:

arab-exile