Author Topic: cheap suspension fix!  (Read 14636 times)

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
cheap suspension fix!
on: April 21, 2013, 06:18:38 PM
I like many have had problems setting up the front suspension,on a smooth road its no problem but bumpy roads its horrible!.

I have been running the CT on the new Dunlop Trailmax TR91 tyres and yes they are very good but also very firm on the road so I've just fitted the CT with the only Tyre on the market with a Kevlar belt which is the Michelin Anakee 2  which has supple side walls (most tyres are fitted with a steel belt) as i had these in stock, well what can I say what a complete change of ride quality its now almost a perfect ride. To try and put this in to % if you have had a BMW GS with telelver lets give it 100% ride quality as a bench mark, the std set up on the CT about 65% with the Michelin Anakee fitted now 95%  :031:

So when your tyres need changing give them a try and save a bundle on expensive suspension upgrades.... :821:

Hope this helps :158:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: cheap suspension fix!
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:47:55 PM
I wish we could, but only the Pirelli Scorpion Trail E and the Bridgestone BW-501 Radial F are allowed in Germany  :232:

Offline The dogs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Man Highlander
  • City / Town: St Martin
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:36:47 PM
I think you should send your findings to Honda because this a fundamental fix to a fundamental problem. And relatively inexpensive as well.
This is the last one.........honest

Offline Splice

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:20:26 AM
Yes Michelin carcasses are great.I swapped out the OE rubber for Pilot Road 3s transformed the handling great feel and amazing wet wet weather grip too.
A small sacrifice on tire life but more miles of smiles.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 12:28:59 PM
I first put a set of PR3's on my CB1000R last year having run sports rubber on it for the last three years. They are so good wet or dry I tried a set on my Aprilia Caponord when they started doing a 19" front to fit.
I then fitted a set to my 929 blade and did a track day on them they performed without any drama I was in the intermediate group and able to stay with the front leaders.
They will be the tyres I'll be using on the CT once the death wings wear down a bit.
Cheers Blu

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:03:51 AM
I think the fundamental fix for the crap front suspension is the new GS  :431:

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:27:52 AM
No it isn`t, and even if it is, everything behind the front end is not up to Xtourer standard.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline frank_b

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:24:39 AM
The fundamental fix is Honda or BMW itself. 

Like everything on the bike, a profit has to be made ( otherwise there would be no Honda or BMW )

If you look for example the GS forum in the Netherlands there is a special topic for suspension like Hyperpro.
Just changing only the springs in stead of the shocks will give a huge improvement. ( result compare to price very good for only springs )

I am going for the Hyperpro springs.

I agree that the BW501 tyre is not that good, had two days of rain here and we have a lot of road repairs here with something "bitumen" the BW501 is very slippery on that stripes  :151:
I will probably change tyre's before they are worn out.

But the tire is not mend for suspension, if you do heavy braking and you are coming to the end of the spring you just loose grip.

Hyperpro was in a Dutch program (it's called "Blik op de weg" ) and they did some testing with 2 BMW S1000RR same bikes one has Hyperpro springs.
http://youtu.be/dZjp1nHnV6s    (sorry Dutch)
And some tips for adjusting the springs.

And yes I am a Hyperpro fan, but you can get the same results with Ohlins or other brands, factory default is just default, if you are really going to use the bike, switch your suspension.
Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:32:00 AM by frank_b
  or or