Author Topic: famous/infamous roads such as the Cat and Fiddle  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
famous/infamous roads such as the Cat and Fiddle
on: April 18, 2013, 11:29:08 AM
I was reading Saxons last post on the "spring has sprung" thread and it got me pondering. I've had a few jaunts around the Peak District but never ridden the Cat and Fiddle or Snake Pass. Are they roads that every biker should ride once in their lifetime or are they overrated? I'm also quite tempted to spend a day riding around a few of the well known passes, Hardknott, Wrynose, Honister etc as i'm partial to a bit of scenery (plus stopping for the occasional pie or sarnie) but are these worth visiting or are they overrated too? (By overrated i mean do they receive more attention and mentions than they deserve). Are they actually quite boring to ride but worth it for the scenery?

Don't turn this into an "our roads are better than your roads argument, save that for another thread, and apologies to our Mod if this is in the wrong sub-forum as it's not really a ride report.

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Re: famous/infamous roads such as the Cat and Fiddle
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:53:30 PM
I dont know too much about the Peak roads other than they are 'main' roads  which gained a certain notariety amongst sports bike riders to see who was fastest over them... They now are speed restricted  and policed.THe scenary is ok ,the heavy commercial traffic is not... The Lakes roads are a differant kettle of fish  being largely single track mountain( well just!) roads giving a challenging ride on varible surfaces in stunning scenary -when you have time to look ,I think Scotsy has just posted a recent trip (See  'Billy no mates') in the snow which gives you a good idea .  Now is the best time to do them as in the Season they attract many dawdling car drivers :232: :232: They were made for enjoying your CT> Hope this helps

Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:55:25 PM by Mister B

Offline JB13

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:10:57 PM
 both runs are  good biking driving cycling and popular with hikers  hence the area gets busy and is well covered by the police , by all means give them a try but don't expect fast empty roads think more like a cruise .

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:25:04 PM
I remember Snake Pass from 1979 when I rode my CB250NA home for the weekends from RAF Scampton to Blackpool. A57 from Lincoln thru Worksop to Sheffield, Glossop into Manchester and then follow the A6 to Preston, then the A583 to home. I can't remember how far it was but on a Friday night it was great fun - but sometimes really cold up there.

Didn't need a navi back then because I didn't change road numbers very often - makes life easier.

Good times :305:

Might go on that route in July with my son - I hate motorways.
Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:26:40 PM by Doc

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26:08 PM
How busy do the passes get? Are they swarming with "dawdling car drivers", cyclists and walkers all summer or is it just weekends or anytime the sun is out?

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:29:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Telbert [+]
How busy do the passes get? Are they swarming with "dawdling car drivers", cyclists and walkers all summer or is it just weekends or anytime the sun is out?

I don't know about now, but in 1979 it was pretty quiet! Probably a speed trap every 100 yrds now  :232:

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 08:35:54 PM
Ey up Terry. I have got to agree with both of the above  :169:. The two peaks roads are both nice to ride, but as Mister B said, they are restricted, with the Cat and Fiddle having average camera's on it , so you have to be careful how you squirt it from one corner to the next. Myself It was the first time over the C&F on a bike, after saying to the wife the last time we went over in the car it would be "easier on the bike". Which it was on the CT ,by a country mile  :020:
Without the scenery, you could say that the road from Wragby to Woodhall Spa that we went on, would be as challenging as any other,without any 50mph zones.  Also from Tealby to Binbrooke to Grimsby up on the wold's,is a nice flowing road,and not too far away for us after a ride to Willy woods.

I will be sampling the Lakes roads again on Saturday ,when I ride up with & others :305:,and if I get time when we get there ,I plan to have a ride up the Wrynose and Hardnott ,as I am interested to see how the DCT will cope with the tight uphill hairpins.As the last 2 bikes I've been up on I had to feather the clutch to get around them. Perhaps Scotsy or Mister B could let me know ,as a regular DCT riders of the Lakes ?

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:46:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
I remember Snake Pass from 1979 when I rode my CB250NA home for the weekends from RAF Scampton to Blackpool. A57 from Lincoln thru Worksop to Sheffield, Glossop into Manchester and then follow the A6 to Preston, then the A583 to home. I can't remember how far it was but on a Friday night it was great fun - but sometimes really cold up there.

Didn't need a navi back then because I didn't change road numbers very often - makes life easier.

Good times :305:

Might go on that route in July with my son - I hate motorways.
If you do that route this summer Doc, then give us a shout and I'll go part way with you ,depending on which direction you do it in,as I live on the side of the A57 just before the toll bridge that crosses the river Trent. We also do the same route to the Lady Bower or Hope/Castleton. Then Glossop-Buxton-Bakewell-Matlock-Chesterfield -Home.  :031:

arab-exile