Author Topic: Manx GP  (Read 3212 times)

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
Manx GP
on: April 16, 2013, 06:37:40 PM
I fancy a trip to the IOM but I really don't think that the TT is for me, I hope that the GP is a more sedate affair and wondered if any peeps on here can comment on what a trip to the GP is like, maybe even a ride repor.

Thanks.

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Manx GP
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:03:57 PM
Yes, I can.

MGP is changing to give 2 events running pretty much concurrently: the Classic TT and the Manx Grand Prix.  Week 1 is practice week, as usual, and week 2 is race week.  The plan is below (but subject to change in the event of poor weather, as you’d expect).

The classic TT rules allow things like RC30s and early Gixxers in, so I reckon it’ll be great racing and many of the big names from TT will be there which will, I am sure, add to the appeal of the event.  That said, the MGP is the training ground for TT, so the stars of tomorrow will be there, it’s just we’re not sure who they are just yet.  MGP lap times are slower than TT, 120mph is considered very fast, whereas 131 is the top end at TT, but frankly you hardly notice the difference and the racing is just as competitive.  With lower visitor numbers, there's always a good spot in the hedge to watch from!

Add things like the festival of Jurby which is organised by VMCC and you get a veritable feast of old bikes with equally old riders, but the characters are all part of the event.  Unlike TT, the mountain road is not one way and that spoils it for the power rangers, so you get far less guys on sports bikes out to prove how fast they can go.  The riding is much less chaotic and I find it much more enjoyable.  There’s some seriously quick boys out, but there’s more respect for others on the road.

Shout if you’ve any more queries.  I’ll be there from Friday 23 August until Saturday 31st.

RACE WEEK

Classic TT Race Day 1 - Saturday 24th August (Roads Close at 1400 hrs)
1430 1967 Senior TT Re-enactment Parade
1445 VMCC Closed Road Parade
1545 Race 1 – 500cc Classic TT Race
Followed by MGP Practice
1830-1900 Newcomer A, Senior, Junior, SuperTwin 1905-1935 Newcomer B/C, Lightweight

Classic TT Race Day 2 - Monday 26th August (Roads Close at 0930 hrs)
1015 Classic TT Lap of Honour
1130 Races 2/3 - 350/250cc Classic TT Race
1345 Races 4/5/6 - F1/Formula/F2 Classic TT race
Followed by MGP Practice
1600-1630 Newcomer A, Senior, Junior, SuperTwin 1635-1700 Newcomer B/C, Lightweight

Manx Grand Prix Race Day 1 - Wednesday 28th August (Roads Close at 0930 hrs)
1015 Race MGP 1/2/3 - Newcomers A/B/C Race (3 classes)(4 laps)
1215 Manx Grand Prix 90th Anniversary Past Masters Parade
1330 Race MGP 4 - Junior MGP Race (4 laps)
Followed by MGP Practice
1530-1540 Senior, SuperTwin, Lightweight (1 lap)

Manx Grand Prix Race Day 2 - Friday 30th August (Roads Close at 0930 hrs)
1015 Race MGP 5/6 - SuperTwin/Lightweight MGP Race (2 classes)(4 laps)
1315 Race MGP 7 - Senior MGP Race (4 laps)

IanM

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:57:12 PM
Many thanks for taking the time to write all of that, it is exactly what I was after and backs up my theory of the MGP having less of the power rangers and general lunacy of the TT.

Sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Can I ask, I have read in the past that during the TT, ferry crossings and accomodation are a bit of a nightmare and need to be booked way in advance, is it the same for the MGP?

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:08:32 AM
There's not quite the pressure on sailings as at TT but the boats are still pretty full - and the fares are almost as high!  TT and MGP are the most expensive weeks in the year to use the boats, as you'd imagine.  There's only one ferry operator, so you'll need to have a play and see what sailings are still available for 2013.  For 2014, the opportunity to make ferry booking will appear on the web site around Christmas when next year's sailing schedule is published: www.steam-packet.com

Hotels are going to be your problem, most will be fully booked since the island's tourism industry has contracted there aren't that many anyway.  But, have a ring round and you will probably find something.  In addition, there's a scheme called Homestay where local residents take paying guests for the major events.  It's a well established part of the Manx culture, so not as scary as it sounds and all homestay providers are inspected and certified so you can be confident that the place will be safe and have adequate bathroom facilities etc: http://www.iomtt.com/TT-2013/TT-Homestay-2013.aspx

The alternative to making your own plans is to book a package through Regency Travel: http://www.iomtt.com/Classic-TT/Travel-Information.aspx

Going to either TTT or MGP takes a bit of planning, but it's definitely worth it!

Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:13:00 AM by IanM
IanM

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:35 PM
Wow, more ecellent info, thank you very much.

I will get cracking and see if I can't get something organised.

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:37:37 PM
My pleasure!

www.iomtt.com has a forum with an accommodation section, which might be worth a look.  And, since the boats will be busy, I'd recommend you consider making an upgrade to the premium lounge - it gets you free tea, coffee and soft drinks but most importantly, it gets you a reserved seat with you name on it.
IanM

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:32 PM
OK, understood.

I am thinking of actually going during practice week. Bike racing doesn't thrill me, I just want to go and see the island and put no more than a foot in the water of one of the events. So the practice week might be ideal.

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 03:52:04 PM
Be very careful:  the bug will bite and there's no cure!
IanM

arab-exile