Author Topic: Honda OE Top Box vs. ???  (Read 14529 times)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Honda OE Top Box vs. ???
on: April 16, 2013, 04:58:12 AM
hi,

I have trawled through post posts and still confused. Can anyone give me some advice here?

I have the OE top box and panniers for the CT....the big silver things. Now, I like the way the side boxs can be fitted without a bracket etc, so for now they are okay. I don't use them much anyway.

However, and here's my question(s)......
1. can any other top box fit on to the honda rack system? I think the OE top box is to be blunt......a bit gash!

2. Is there any other top box that could be recommended. I understand that I might have to buy another, different rack/bracket

3. What would be the chances of selling the OE stuff and how much would I get for it?

cheers
slomo
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Honda OE Top Box vs. ???
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 05:52:01 PM
Trawling the site does take time, but there's lots of info out there. Try the search engine.

You can fit almost any top box and rack to the CT.

Side brackets are here for the Givi V35's (on my need to buy list) https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,1550.0.html

Try selling the OEM luggage on Ebay - people on Ebay will buy anything  :745:

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:05:18 PM
Thanks Doc,

I had already used the search function, and was still confused, hence my question:)

I still don't know.........is there any other top box out there that can fit my honda CT rack?

Regarding a replacement top box......would Givi be the way forward?

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:21:34 PM
*Originally Posted by slomogadgie [+]
Thanks Doc,

I had already used the search function, and was still confused, hence my question:)

I still don't know.........is there any other top box out there that can fit my honda CT rack?

Regarding a replacement top box......would Givi be the way forward?

I will answer this question in good spirit but if i find out its another f@cking www.tuonoworld.com runaround 'troll' jobbie i won't be best pleased slomogadgie (and you can tell the other 'Trolls' to stop asking f@cking stupid questions on here and wasting peoples time) eg. bon=nob (gone), Rico=ciro crossdresser, garry=garry, aldo112=Aldo, and probably a few unknowns as yet :230:

The reason for my reluctance to reply was simply the picture you posted on TW when you bought the bike doesn't show any luggage, more to the point though is the fact that even IF the luggage had been removed and stored in your house/garage there would still be the MOUNTING PLATE attached to the rack and i don't see one in the picture mate?

Rant over, next is my probably 'pointless reply' seeing as you TW lot seem to think its funny to 'troll' elsewhere :005:

Quote:- Nob "Jeezuss, just had a look round that place and their a right set of bolshi ###s :172: 

Mebbe they need a few new members :007:"

As i was advised when my zippered OEM 'vanity case' topbox leaked in for the second time (1st one got replaced under warranty)  ............... "ask for a Pan European topbox in exchange"

I phoned customer service and after a couple of days they rang back and arranged a swap :020: so i got a brand new matching 'digital silver' topbox which takes 2 x full face lids (with inbuilt backrest) and clamps onto the same crosstourer mounting plate. Inside the Pan Euro box was a brand new mounting plate but it will NOT line up with the holes in the CT rack so i had to use the already fitted CT one.

I'm not sure wether your RED colour has a direct match in the Pan Euro line up (i think YES)

I was told the Pan Euro box is made for Honda by Givi so the quality of the box should be of Givi standards

Best of luck and no hard feelings if you are making a genuine enquiry mate but I DON'T THINK ITS FUNNY TO BE DOING THIS F@CKING 'TROLLING' MALARKY especially when 'nob'  actually OWNS and RUNS www.tuonoworld.com

As its all been good natured up to now and there's no harm been done lets forget about it but I for one think nob was bang out of order being the owner of a similar forum and suggesting such actions

scotsy :305:

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:11:01 PM
 :0461:

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:43 PM
Hi Scotsy,

Thanks for the reply......everyone is allowed a rant now and again.....even though sometimes it might be a little misguided.

Now saying that  I hope your rant does not affect my relationship with others on this CT forum, as I really like the bike and looking forward to a long happy ownership. Already trying to talk Fifi into one day round trip Scotland trip of about 550 miles.....just because I feel the CT would handle that no problem. I do however have some questions about the bike.....................I'm sorry if they seem stupid to you.

Now back to topic!

I have no rack on the back because when I went to pick the bike up, the shop had fitted it to another CT!!!!!! Don't ask me why they did this, but I'm friendly enough with the shop so left it at that. The rack will be in the shop when I get back to the UK. If you look closely you will see I have the centre stand and touring screen which was all aprt of the 'deal' I got with thibike (it was not the SE package). I did see the OE top box though and wasn't impressed. I'm not too keen on the panniers either to be honest, but I like the way that they just fit on with no brackets and leave the lines on the bike unchanged when I take them off. I will not use the panniers a lot, so could live with them for now.

So it seems the Pan top box fits straight onto the CT rack. So if I look for a Pan top box with no rack, I could use the CT one....correct? Is there a Givi one that fits the CT rack?

Cheers
B

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:27:14 PM
Any Givi box will fit(monokey range is best) provided you fit the correct Givi fixing plate to the Honda rack.. A look at the givi site or any of the usual suppliers will show what is available.. THe Trecker box seams well liked,..

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:35:07 PM
Cheers Mister B. So I still need the rack for the CT top box, and then fit a Givi adaptor/fixing plate between the the Ctrake and the box. I'm sorry about the questions, but I'm just not sure how it all works. My 800 vtec came with all the fixings and boxes (which I liked) etc so I didn't have to buy new ones. I'm quite happy to buy a new givi top box.....I just need to know how and what I need to fix it on.
cheers
B

arab-exile