Author Topic: Increase in the number of main topics  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Increase in the number of main topics
on: April 09, 2013, 07:48:48 PM
As we are getting more and more new members, some are starting topics that we have already discussed at length many times.

The search function helps, but could we increase the number of main topics to enable us to locate things easier?

Everyone's thoughts would no doubt be appreciated by our Admin.

Cheers,
Doc

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Re: Increase in the number of main topics
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:24:49 PM
Aye Doc,

I take it my post was the tipping point for you. Sorry. TBH on this occasion with me being new to the forum, gave the title of your thread a quick glance (amongst all the others) and forgot to get back to it and had thought it was the bike just prior to the CT.

It's the  nature of the beast of online forums that, as you say, people will always start a new thread on a subject already covered. Tyres, exhausts being prime examples.

It might be that there needs to be a rule where new members have to make sure they are wearing their reading glasses (if required) before starting a no thread. :)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:38:00 PM
Hi Slomogadgie,
I think the time has come to increase the number of topics we have, as we are putting too many subjects into too few main topics. We need to make it easier to find stuff, and to enable us to better decide where to start topics.

Just take a look at the Tiger explorer forum to see how they are branching out - same Admin as ours.

http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php?action=forum

Take a look at the ST-Owners.com forum as well

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/index.php

I think the regional forums/topics are good.
Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:01:47 PM by Doc

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:50:05 PM
I would be hoping for a section specifically for parts suppliers, accessory part numbers, the lists of manufacturers say, that supply exhausts to suit our CT's.
Take for example the workshop manual for the CT, we could have the part number of the genuine Honda manual and a link to David Silver spares, then the link to the aftermarket suppliers and their part numbers and then worldwide suppliers to service the spread of forum users. It would be a quick reference place when you are choosing accessories.
I know as most CT's are under warranty it is early to expect things like the NGK spark plug model, but it would be good to get up listings of brake pads and part numbers to suit from EBC, Brembo etc as there is a lot of members who would do this maintenance ( like me).
Certain info is in the owners manual but it would be great to have a listing of the popular items and then build on that
See www.caporider.com ( from my previous owned bike) to see what i'm talking about. Specifically the "Parts" section
Cheers T
Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:15:48 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:01:02 PM
Further to this topic on expanding headings, take the "Tyres and Wheels" section, its last post was March 15 ( there is a more recent one but it should be under another section)
Does this help to prove that as its under its own heading its easy to navigate and find the info you are looking for,   
or is it just a pretty dead thread? ( pity as I like talking and hearing about new tyres!)  :008:
T
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.