Author Topic: Joined the club! White Crosstourer X downunder. Advice appreciated.  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Carl

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Sydney
Hi all!

I'd been thinking of making my adventure tourer purchase in the spring, with the Crosstourer being my favoured choice.  But while reading reviews and surfing the web over a week ago I came across a dealer demo with 450kms selling for $15K instead of $21K.  It's 11 months old, so I loose that warranty and rego period.  But it's a Honda, it won't break right?!  I drove a couple of hours north on the Saturday to check it out.  It was in perfect order.  I could not resist, so bought it there and then and brought it home.  Woohoo!  Got it up to 1150kms by Monday, and got the first service done Thursday.  Love the torque, it handles beautifully.  Suspension a bit firmer than I would prefer though, my girlfriend complained a bit, otherwise she found it very comfortable.  You feel the potholes.  My only disappointment was I wanted to test ride the XD, but I've been unable to find a dealer so far with a model here in Sydney.  Got out yesterday and added another 400kms on a great ride.  Got my first scrape.  Left footpeg!

So now to kit it up.  Here's where some advice would be appreciated.

So far purchased:
Received from Radguard (in 2 days!): Radiator guard (Second one I've bought from these guys, great quality, now installed. I didn't have to cut the plastic around the radiator. Bends a bit but fits fine on top of Radguard.), 90 degree valves, tank protector sticker.
Received motorradgarage.com.au (in 3 days): Engine guard (Really nice looking quality.  Installed.  Really solid and strong.), extenda fenda, $30 bike alarm (thought it was worth a try at that price).  They said the Piramid Read Hugger is not available.  Hope I can source one overseas.
Ordered from Honda: Center stand, deflector kit, heated grips.
Ordered from Givi: Crash bars (backorder, available late June). Not available here in Aus was the adjustible touring screen and the aluminium top box braket.
I've also ordered a GPS braket for my Zumo 660.

What remains are:
PANNIERS: Other than being integrated, I don't like the Honda ones.  Especially that zipper.  And they're really expensive.  So I see my choices as:
Givi Trekker - I like the look of these.  Only thing that bothers me is you need a padlock to secure the side bag brackets.
SW-Motech or Hepco & Becker XPlorer - Anyone knows if the side brakets for these are secure?  Any thoughts on any pros and cons of these different systems?
I then need to decide what sizes.  Do I keep the girlfriend happy and get the large saddle bags?  Are two 46L Givi side cases getting too big for example?
TOURING SCREEN: I liked the look of the adjustable Givi screen, but it's not available here through Aus distributor.  May be able to order it from overseas?  I need to read/reread some of the comments on screens here to get a better idea what might be best.  Maybe the Honda one would be fine.  Wish it was adjustable though.  I'm 190cms, 6'3".  The standard screen hits me in the neck on the low setting, and mid helmet on the high setting, so fairly noisy at highway speed.
HEADLIGHT PROPECTOR: Does anyone make one of these?  I contacted amhp.com.au who said they did not know when they would make one, it would depend on demand.
BARKBUSTERS.
Anything else I should get?  :-)  :016:

When I can post to the gallery I'll load some photos.

Now that I have the bash plate and radiator protector installed I'm keen to take it on a dirt road.

Here's one happy boy:

:001:

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
 :400:   Carl,you will find  there are a few other Aussies on the site  who are very helpfull... Regarding luggage  ,the givi Trecker top box  coupled with  Givi  V35s on the side make a  tidy and good looking package  thats not too wide ...   You will find the CT just gets better,what a bike and engine     :305: :305:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
 :400: to the CT Club Carl  :031:

Offline Carl

• Crosstourer Member
Here's a few photos.   :002:

Offline jacob

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
Hi Carl ... Great photo's and congrats on the CT -

RE: Hepco & Becker XPlorer - Anyone knows if the side brakets for these are secure?
 - need to sort out a time to meet and you can review my H&B luggage I am very happy with it and find it very secure.
 :018:
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Nice picture Carl. Now that's the smile of a happy man!  :152:

Offline Carl

• Crosstourer Member
Thanks MisterB, Doc and Jacob!

After a brilliant four days riding my CBR (because the VFR didn't have panniers yet) through the Snowy Mountains and Victorian Alps I had a tough last week, but since Sunday things are looking up.  The week started with getting booked for making a right turn I had made many times before.  I just hadn't been there between 3 and 6pm, Mon-Fri before!  Arghh, didn't notice the sign, and neither did several other drivers!  Next I figured out my head bearings were loose and that explains why I wasn't happy with the front end.  That's despite me asking them to check this at pre-delivery and first service.  Was up to 2K by then.  Took it to a closer dealer to get fixed under warranty, and was told it should have been picked up at pre-delivery so wasn't a warranty claim.  Out of pocket $82.  Received my rear hugger scratched and cracked.  It was packaged in just a plastic post bag.  Sent back for replacement but at my own expense.  Not impressed with the service.  Working on my GPS mount I dropped the screwdriver onto the unprotected pristine tank (idiot!) and put a small chip to the metal in it.  Found some matching paint on Sat and now not so bad, but not happy.  Then I received three Givi Trekker panniers all with different keys, and the side cases were different models, one with extra latches and different style keys.  Despite requesting a fully matched set.

Saturday I installed the center stand, no problem.  Looked at the heated grip and 12V socket install instructions and figured 4pm wasn't a good time to start that!  My Sunday freed up, so joined a mate for a 500+kms ride down to Kangaroo Valley.  Beautiful day, had the best ride yet on the VFR and gained a new appreciation for this beautifully torquey motor.  Loving it.  And now I was happy with the front suspension!  And the handling is superb.  I was throwing it into corners with full confidence.  Then today the dealer called to say he has a replacement side case and a fully matched set of locks which apparently should have been an extra charge which he has taken care of.  They have also received my crash bars.  So looks like I'll have a busy Saturday!  All that remains is to get my rear hugger replaced, and receive an Givi Airflow screen and aluminium top box plate from http://www.ojmoto.it/.  I can't wait to get my Crosstourer fully set up and go on a trip.  I'm really loving this bike.

:001: