Author Topic: Frank says hi from the Netherlands, thinking of buying a CT (No more thinking :)  (Read 9118 times)

Offline frank_b

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Hi, signed up to do some reading here, lots of info  :028:

I have a VFR1200F at the moment from 2010 and thinking of buying a CT.
I still like the looks of the VFR1200F but did a testdrive with the CT  :018: wow very nice indeed  :047:

Did another test drive with the wife, still perfect with couple on the bike.
And the dealer gives me a CT for a whole day, did a lot of driving with it, result very good bike  :020:

Drove the manual and the DCT, not sure about the DCT yet, driving around 100 km/h in S mode and not possible to go to the 6.
Not my cup of tea, the DCT. prefer manual.  I am 51 years and driving motorcycles from 18 drove a lot of km's
I think the CT is great.

So will I buy one, still not sure, the price for my VFR1200F I get  :006: :232:  come on, that bike drops like a stone here in the Netherlands.
So not a owner yet, but maybe in the future, the gap is not that big, dealer likes to sell also.
Will give me better price if he can find someone for my VFR1200F

Gonna do some reading here.    :821:

Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:47:53 PM by frank_b
  or or

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Frank says hi from the Netherlands, thinking of buying a CT
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:08:22 PM
 :400:  Frank. Glad you like the CT. DCT is not for everyone - but many don't give it a chance.

Tip:
When you are riding along in S-Mode at 100kph, and it stays in 5th - press the + button and it's in 6th and stays there until you give it some gas.

There's lots you can do with the DCT - even ride it in manual without having to pull a clutch lever. It changes much faster than a manual.  :020:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:43:36 PM
As doc says....don't give up on the DCT just yet, you have to learn how to get the best of out of it. I've been out today and used all three modes at some point in my riding but mostly in SPORT

When in SPORT mode and it won't change up to top gear (or any higher gear than its running in for that matter) just tap the 'manual' button with your right index finger and change it up the left index finger on the + button, then later on when you want SPORT mode back just swop it back.....

or ...................

Give the throttle a TWIST to instigate 'kickdown' and hold on tight  :005: :005: :005:

At the end of the day SPORT mode is there to keep the engine in the meaty part of the performance and that is why it holds onto the gears....... to keep the revs up and ready to Goooooooooooooo!!!

If your not in a rush use DRIVE and then just use 'kickdown' for immediate response and rapid acceleration  :062:

Ian :305:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:17:45 PM
 :400: to the forum from Scotland Frank

I have a manual and love it but I would have taken the DCT if i regularly had someone on the back.

I liked the DCT on the test ride but found i had to ride it like a manual to really like it, it is super smooth as plenty on here will verify

Hope you get the deal you are looking for and get the bike that is right for you  :031:

Offline PaulB

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X silver
  • City / Town: Southend-on-Sea
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:16:01 PM
 :400: Frank. I'm also old fashioned and went for the manual but it seems everyone that has the DCT love it. I wish I'd taken one out to test but the dealer didn't have one at the time.
Hope you get a good price for the F so you can join the gang  :031:
I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.

Offline frank_b

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:34 AM
hmm, so I have to give DCT a second try  :084:

The dealer says the same, got the DCT for an hour and the rest of the time I drove the manual. Dealer said to me, you have to ride the DCT for at least 200 km and the the switch in your head will go over  :008:

He was thinking the same, but he was planning a trip whit customers and had an demo dct vfr1200f from Honda, after driving the whole day on the bike, he also told me that DCT rules, big smile. Even manual mode on the VFR1200F no clutch just ticking the +, try to beat me with your manual 1200F.... 

Will give it another try, Honda in the Netherlands is promoting the DCT also, lots of possibilities to ride one:
http://hondaschakeltover.nl/eventkalender.php

look at the URL, "Honda is switching over"  :038:

OK will see, first the 1200F in the sale, will also try private sell. (get a discount whit nothing to trade, so could be win win)

Thanks for the welcome  :821:
  or or

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:28:13 AM
Frank, after 1.5 million kms on conventional bikes i too was sceptical about the dct. Now, after 17k kms, I 'm totally hooked on the DCT. I'm a fan. This is by far the best bike i've riffen apart from maybe the Pan European.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:40:59 AM
 :400: Frank

I got a test ride on the manual crosstourer and really liked it but wanted to try the dct version too. Hardly any dealers in the uk stock the dct but I found one who let me have a 30 minute test ride. It felt good straight away but wasn't a long enough ride to really find out what the bike was like so you were very fortunate to find a dealer who let you ride the bike for a day. I eventually bought a dct bike and even after riding over 1000 miles I am still finding new ways to ride it. When I was running it in I rode everywhere in D mode which felt fast enough but the more I ride it the more I ride in S mode and only pop it into D on the motorways.

Go and have another test ride and try the bike in D, S and manual modes. Its capable of so many things