Author Topic: Side panel removal problem  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Side panel removal problem
on: March 30, 2013, 02:38:11 PM
Went to take the side panels off today to fit a set of crash bars and additional lights but the 5mm allen screw at the bottom of both panels just spun and would not slacken off.

Top screws came out no problem as you would expect

Phoned the dealer and they haven't had any problems but because I leave next week to go to Spain I won't have time to put the bike in to the dealer to get it fixed. I didn't want to force anything in case I broke the panel and likewise if the dealer breaks it then it will be replaced by them but the new panels won't be here in time for my trip so no point in getting them to try until I come back. Hope that makes sense

Has anyone else had a problem removing the side panels or can anyone advise what the bottom screw goes into, a pic would be nice if possible

Cheers

Just realised the dealer when fitting the heated grips would have removed the panels, looks like the mechanic has probably overtightened the screws, and as this is the first time they will have been taken off since then it hasn't been noticed.
Hopefully they will make amends without any fuss, still a pain because I can't get anything fitted prior to my trip  :151:
Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:44:25 PM by Mika

Offline Bitteliten

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Side panel removal problem
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:48:37 PM
Have not seen this screw, so this is a general advice. Try to get a small flat end screw driver or a Olfi knife under the head of the bolt while turning the screw anti clock wise. That often helps the threads to grip.

Offline matchip

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Selangor
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:50:06 PM
I had had the same problem, but maybe my solution had something to do with luck.

I tried to remove the side panel just after I get back from work on the CT. There's still heat on the bike. Taking off the top bolt and four honda clips, I stuck with the bottom allen bolt, the back nut seems to loose. I stopped a minute hoping I didn't damage any rest that was holding the nut.

I thought I had carefully tighten on the last removal - tried removing the radiator shroud hoping I can reach the nut from the back. Couldn't remember if I'm able too but I didn't go that way. I tried as what Bitteliten describe here, but I back off from that too scared I'll damage the paint. While working on the warm chasis, it makes me think that the bolt could have been over-tighten because of the heat. So I sprayed water on it to cool the bolt down. Another try on the bolt, it came off. Phew!

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
Thanks for the replies

Bitteliten, I did try a bit of pressure behind the panel but it just kept spinning

Matchip, the bike was warm so I will give it a try tomorrow when everything is cold. -3c expected here tonight so that should be cold enough !

Offline matchip

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Selangor
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 10:10:36 PM
My CT outside air temperature reports 36˚C here...  :063:

Offline Bitteliten

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:39:59 PM
The pressure should be put under the screw's head. Use for instance ducked tape to cover the paint.

Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 10:59:22 AM
I had the same problem with the lower bolt right hand side panel.

Problem is captive nut is elliptical and factory over tightened bolt turns elliptical captive nut and this splits the plastic around the nut.

Definite design fault. I got mine off by using long nose pliers, reaching behind to get at the nut by flexing the side panel outward.  Took a lot of fiddling.

I was going to warranty claim it but instead just reinforced the captive nut surround with epoxy resin.
2012 VFR1200X Cross Tourer
2016 CRF1000 Africa Twin
2008 ABS XL1000V Varadero
1997 XRV 750 Africa Twin

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:38:31 PM
Tried again this morning but still no movement

Glad in a way to see others have had a problem, at least I can quote this to Honda if they go in to denial.

Going to leave it to the dealer when I get back, if it breaks or gets damaged it is their problem  :031: