Author Topic: New member looking to buy a crosstourer  (Read 3053 times)

Offline wvwebber

• Crosstourer Junior
New member looking to buy a crosstourer
on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:10 AM
Hi all,
I've owned an Aprilia Mana for nearly 5 years and clocked up 61,000 kms mostly commuting daily and some weekend rides.  Looked at various bikes in the past 3 years but kept coming back to keeping the Mana due to it suitability to riding in daily traffic (CVT auto).  Was very impressed when I saw the VFR 1200 in both forms, road and off road, and then my local Honda dealer offered a special price on a demo VFR1200X DCT with only 80 kms on the clock.  After much reading on the forum and the great response it was getting, I arranged a test ride.  Couldn't believe how big the bike was compared to the Mana when I first saw it.   A couple of minutes into the test ride, I could see why you all rave about it. 

What I liked: Smoothness of the motor and ride.  More power than I need.  Tracks so well on the road.  Extremely comfortable.
My major concerns:  Fuel economy and how the bike will perform as a commuter in heavy traffic.

I understand the fuel economy will improve with time and is dependent on how you twist the throttle.

So, after further discussions and thinking overnight on the deal, I called the dealer and said that I thought the crosstourer was more suited to the open road and I might be happier staying with the Mana around town.  So, no deal at this time.  Different story maybe if I was touring more on weekends.

Two days have gone by and I haven't stopped thinking about that damn bike.  The smoothness and power of the motor, great handling and comfort.  So today I've called to ask and yes the demo is still available so I'm going back tomorrow for another test ride.

Is anyone else using their crosstourer as a commuter?  How is it in traffic?  I found that the transmission was not sure which gear to be in in auto mode (D) in extra slow traffic.  I thought maybe that manual mode in first gear might be a better option.   Your ideas are welcome. 

I also noticed that a slow speed the fuel consumption was very high (around 10km/l).  Is this normal or does this improve?  Seems that rolling along at 4 km/h used more fuel that at 60km/h in 6th gear.

Anyway, I think I want this bike. I've loved my time with my Mana and find it hard to let it go.
Any info to help my decision either way would be useful.

Offline HKP

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X-DCT
  • City / Town: Whitburn
Re: New member looking to buy a crosstourer
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:54:02 AM
I think you are just delaying the inevitable.

There is only one answer to address all your concerns, more weekend away trips, there is a lot to discover down under  :028:

Offline PaulB

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X silver
  • City / Town: Southend-on-Sea
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:30:23 PM
 :400: a webber. If you want a commuter then get the NC700X with DTC, brilliant for the job and its very frugal when it comes to fuel consumption, 70 MPG (sorry I only deal in real money). It's still comfortable and I know someone who has even taken his off road.
Now if you want to do any touring then there is only one choice and you know what you have to do, as HKP says you have a big country down there  :028:
I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:45 PM
Hi VW W,
agree with PaulB on the NC700X, although we all recommend the CT where ever we can, it is never going to be economical in heavy traffic and it will not improve in mpg considerably with time! 42mpg is realistic in general driving, less in your conditions, You did not say how frugal the Mana is. There is also 100+ kg to consider when threading through rows of traffic
Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:00:26 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 05:05:32 PM
Take another demo but ride it in town and use the manual buttons to see how you get on with it compared to just leaving it in drive

it is a big bike but on a run expect mid to high 40mpg

The best person to make your mind up is yourself and I am pretty sure you will end up with the Ct

:400: to the forum as well  :305:

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:21:48 PM
*Originally Posted by wvwebber [+]
Hi all,
...... .... I also noticed that a slow speed the fuel consumption was very high (around 10km/l).  Is this normal or does this improve?  Seems that rolling along at 4 km/h used more fuel that at 60km/h in 6th gear.

Anyway, I think I want this bike. I've loved my time with my Mana and find it hard to let it go.
Any info to help my decision either way would be useful.

My advice .. if you want this bike ... go and GET her  :305:
see the good things, the brilliant V4 engine, the absolutely racelike DCT, the great travel capabilities and and and ....
With slow speed and commuting in heavy traffic any bike or car would consume much more fuel ... but then it would not matter much as it is only short distances on high consumption. Fuel is actually only a small part of the overall cost of a bike. Dont worry about the DCT changing gears in slow traffic, you just may keep it in manual and you actually do "automatically" the right thing after a short while.

However, only you know what suits you best  :029: ... if i only was to drive short commuting trips downtown or the daily stuff i might prefer a lighter version of a bike ...
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:08:36 PM
 :400: That itch won’t go away so stop scratching. Go get it.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:56:10 AM
So, it's been 10 days since the itch started - is the CT in the garage yet - or did an NC700X get the vote?