Author Topic: Givi fog lights question  (Read 10261 times)

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Givi fog lights question
on: March 18, 2013, 06:56:18 PM
Hey everyone

Ok so I've ordered my second pair of givi trekker lights (First pair were for a NC 700x).

For those of you who've already got the lights...the switch is aweful. So for the CT I thought I'd try and be abit clever. Above the push switch for the Anti-skid is a blank space. So I thought that might be a great spot for another push switch to control the new lights. I got the parts guys at Two wheels in Edinburgh (Thanks again Stuart) to see if this was possible. So far we've found that Honda do two parts. The main part is the Fog kit. Part number 08v72mgsd30. The second part is a sub component of the first part. Part number 33201mgsd31. Its the actual console where the anti-skid button sits, but I believe it contains a second button for the fog lights (does anyone have this...maybe on the SE version?) The Parts guys can't work out if this seperate console can be bought completely seperately...can it??? Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction??

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: Givi fog lights question
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:28:41 PM
Hi, i just yesterday fitted some Givi trekker lights to mine.

I used the supplied green wire to make them powered only when the ignition is on (connecting to a spare switched live plug's brown wire behind the LH side panel) and did away with the switch altogether by disconnecting the 2 x bullet connectors and plugging the remaining male and females together, all tucked away behind the panels.

TBH it was a right pain trying to thread all the wires to the relevant places by lifting the fuel tank up and to remove the side panels you need to (its easier) remove the crash bars etc etc.

Still it works fine and once i find a switch that will fit in that spare square hole i can connect it back up properly again so they can work  independently (or more to the point 'be turned off' for engine starting)

I'm sure 5 mins in a Maplins or car accesory shop will turn up a round push-fit switch that will do the job and not look too shabby when fitted into the square blanking piece

ian

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
Ok just found a pic of the second button on this site. In the Gallery on the fourth page, second picture Luckyluke has a picure called "Migsel GPS mount". If you click on the picture, you can see in the corner the console and the second button..

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:49:41 PM
This is what I found on a French website: the switch partnumber is 33220-mgs-d31
http://www.bike-parts.fr/pieces-honda-detail-60074-60074-VFR1200XC-2012-08V7101-CROSSTOURER+1200.html

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 01:43:53 PM
Ok might have found a compromised solution...

Simon at Two wheels in Edinburgh has come up with a solution. My problem wasn't actually the physical switch..it was more to do with the housing and how it attached (badly) to the bars. So this morning when I went in, Simon played about with housing and the switch popped out..he then used a dremell, and made a big enough space in the spare blank beside the anti-skid button and Voila..the switch snuggly snapped in. This was made possible by the fact that someone else wanted the same thing with his givi lights, and luckily his bike was in bits on a stand so we were able to play about with it...fantastic...my bike goes in hopefully next week for Givi crash bar, lights and fender install...and i'm def getting that mod done.

Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:50:18 PM by ozbar

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:16:16 PM
I found an old 3 position switch in my 'spares stash' that would probably do the job as it is made for a 1" square hole and the spare hole in the fairing panel measure a tad less

image links now dead

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 05:13:23 PM
Hi Scotsy, just about your post and connecting wires from the accessory jack plug behind the LH panel. I know there is a difference with the shape and pin type of the jack plug but thought the colour code of the wires was the same, you say the BROWN is the switched live yet the wiring schematic diagram posted on this forum (by ?) shows the black with yellow stripe to be the switched live, and this checks out on my CT.
Can you confirm please for future reference, so we can advise others when this topic comes up again
That Switch you show rings a bell, similar to one on the old 2 bar fires years ago I think, has it any IP rating?
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 05:33:28 PM
*Originally Posted by thetrecker [+]
Hi Scotsy, just about your post and connecting wires from the accessory jack plug behind the LH panel. I know there is a difference with the shape and pin type of the jack plug but thought the colour code of the wires was the same, you say the BROWN is the switched live yet the wiring schematic diagram posted on this forum (by ?) shows the black with yellow stripe to be the switched live, and this checks out on my CT.

Can you confirm please for future reference, so we can advise others when this topic comes up again

I have the sub-harness for the OEM heated grips and there are 3 spare oblong sockets which each have a brown wire and a green wire to them, all the green wires go to earth and all the browns are only live with the ignition switched ON

images links now dead

"That Switch you show rings a bell, similar to one on the old 2 bar fires years ago I think, has it any IP rating?"

Ooops .......thats the trouble with hoarding things for years, you forget what application they were used for :164: