Author Topic: 107 or 129 hp?  (Read 4354 times)

Offline bender

• Crosstourer Member
107 or 129 hp?
on: March 18, 2013, 11:37:04 AM
is it true or not that ct v4 power drops from 127 hp to 107 in 4th, 5th and 6th gear? is it due to speed limitations?

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Re: 107 or 129 hp?
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 03:50:39 PM
Certainly doesn't feel like it ..... but BHP is of little relavance to me with all that torque that is available!!!! :037:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:49:18 PM
First I have heard of it. Certainly doesn't feel down on power further up the gears.

Speeds are normally restricted electronically and not by power output.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:37:10 PM
The CT seems to creep on over the Honda's stated top speed.. from unofficial speed testers on here :038:,  if it were tested on a long straight it would be interesting.
I have heard on the likes of the Kawak ZZR 1400 that it has a restrict on 6th gear to limit top speed and crazy loons fit gadgets to fool the bike into thinking its still only in 5th etc. I have'nt heard anything about the CT but if it is, it sure does'nt show it when grabbing an overtake in 4th gear 
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ducati Diavel CR
  • City / Town: Roswell
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 04:32:12 PM
This is incorrect information you've been supplied with bender.

Nearly all bikes are dyno'd for maximum power in '4th' gear. Typically I believe this is because this is the highest gear (of a usual six) that can be guarenteed to max out revs wise. When you see dyno charts in magazines they are all done in 4th gear, which dispels this concept of restricted HP in the higher gears - where you actually need it the most due to air pressure more than anything.

The only bikes that change their horsepower have power mode selection buttons (S1000RR, Diavel, etc). But when you change power mode the (selected) HP remains consistent in all the gears.

A few bikes have had manufacturer imposed restrictions to Torque. Examples of this include certain models of the ZZR1400, the Super Tenere and until this model year the Rocket 3 Roadster, which actually had Lb.Ft restriction in it's first three gears I believe.

With the advent of smoothness improvements to fly by wire throttle control and traction control becoming more widely available and sophisticated on even non sports bikes (Multistrada, eXplorer, GS even now) expect any torque restrictions to be phased out IMPO.

Without hopefully sounding patronising, for those that do not know the difference between HP and Torque, I think of it in terms of a boxer. How hard he can punch represents his Torque. How frequently he can repeat those punches represents his HP. To move big heavy objects like Harleys from stationery you need Torque. To keep anything going fast you need HP and good aerodynamics.

When you combine strong Torque, high HP and good aerodynamics you get bikes like the ZZR1400, which can be very fast, despite a weight penalty even.

For it's genre the CrossTourer is a relatively good balance of Torque (best in Adv Tourer class) and HP (up there too) and aerodynamics (sacrifices a little protection for fair slipperiness); but like me, losing a few pounds wouldn't do it any harm.
 :001:
Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:34:05 PM by Captain Scarlet

Offline bender

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:27:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet [+]
This is incorrect information you've been supplied with bender.

Nearly all bikes are dyno'd for maximum power in '4th' gear. Typically I believe this is because this is the highest gear (of a usual six) that can be guarenteed to max out revs wise. When you see dyno charts in magazines they are all done in 4th gear, which dispels this concept of restricted HP in the higher gears - where you actually need it the most due to air pressure more than anything.

The only bikes that change their horsepower have power mode selection buttons (S1000RR, Diavel, etc). But when you change power mode the (selected) HP remains consistent in all the gears.

A few bikes have had manufacturer imposed restrictions to Torque. Examples of this include certain models of the ZZR1400, the Super Tenere and until this model year the Rocket 3 Roadster, which actually had Lb.Ft restriction in it's first three gears I believe.

With the advent of smoothness improvements to fly by wire throttle control and traction control becoming more widely available and sophisticated on even non sports bikes (Multistrada, eXplorer, GS even now) expect any torque restrictions to be phased out IMPO.

Without hopefully sounding patronising, for those that do not know the difference between HP and Torque, I think of it in terms of a boxer. How hard he can punch represents his Torque. How frequently he can repeat those punches represents his HP. To move big heavy objects like Harleys from stationery you need Torque. To keep anything going fast you need HP and good aerodynamics.

When you combine strong Torque, high HP and good aerodynamics you get bikes like the ZZR1400, which can be very fast, despite a weight penalty even.

For it's genre the CrossTourer is a relatively good balance of Torque (best in Adv Tourer class) and HP (up there too) and aerodynamics (sacrifices a little protection for fair slipperiness); but like me, losing a few pounds wouldn't do it any harm.
 :001:

wow!!! thank you...

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:28:19 PM
Didn't it once be the case that a bikes power output was 'limited' in the lower gears, I'm pretty sure Suzuki's had electronics that stopped you accesing FULL POWER in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears (?)

An aftermarket gadget sold well called a TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) which when installed would let you access the full power in ALL gears

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:50:32 PM
The Yamaha Ten. As well!

arab-exile