Author Topic: Brake pads maintenance  (Read 3094 times)

Offline matchip

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Selangor
Brake pads maintenance
on: March 13, 2013, 01:31:42 AM
I was about to change my front brake pads. The front left looks like it's about time to replace. Open it up, there's some left before the marker.. Hehe.. feeling cheap, I think I use them for a little while longer (will check them everyday).

I just clocked 20,000km on the CT. The rear was change once on 11,000km. I think, my usage gonna be 1:2 ratio for the fronts and rear. How about you guys?

Here's some pics :

Front left.

Front right.

Rear.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Brake pads maintenance
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:05:31 AM
The only break pads I had to replace were the fronts, simply because they were unusable after I had leaking fork seals. They were fine. I seldom brake.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:09:29 PM
Strange thing is after a new set of tyres the other day I inspected my brake pads and also noticed the left outer pad was worn more than the others.

The bike has only done 6k miles so was surprised as normally I would expect a lot more out of a set of pads. She's a heavy old girl and mostly used for commuting into central London though.

Do you think the uneven wear is down to the linked braking system ?

Offline matchip

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Selangor
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:24:16 AM
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
Strange thing is after a new set of tyres the other day I inspected my brake pads and also noticed the left outer pad was worn more than the others.

The bike has only done 6k miles so was surprised as normally I would expect a lot more out of a set of pads. She's a heavy old girl and mostly used for commuting into central London though.

Do you think the uneven wear is down to the linked braking system ?

I think so. There are two separates brake hose for the left caliper. I couldn't remember where I read it, but the only upper left piston trigger with the rear brake. It's a different system such as from Super Tenere.

I think the OEM brake pads are soft, but it's good, but not economical. But wondered so much since my VFR1200 rear pad (shares the same P/N) lasted a lot more than this.