Author Topic: Backprotectors ?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Backprotectors ?
on: March 12, 2013, 03:20:26 PM
Who wares a back-protector when he/she is taking out the CT for a ride ?
In my jacket there is a kind of soft backprotection but i am thinking about a real back-protector you wear under your jacket.
So, if anyone has experience with this kind of protection, glad to hear about it.

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Re: Backprotectors ?
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:26:14 PM
Hi Nickel..  Check out the Forcefield range.. I have been wearing  a full set of their kit for over 2 years after seeing the damage done to a friend who came off at 50 kph on loose gravel on the road,his standard armour gave lillle protection..... I use  a Sport lite 2 back armour (may be a newer item now) ,and find it excellant,comfortable, reassuring and good quality... It may look a bit intmidating when you first see it with all the straps BUT these are not uncomfortable and most importantly keep the armour in place when it all goes wrong .You also get almost double the protection area with extended cover for your lower spin,Kidneys and shoulders compared to that in most jackets. After you have worn it for a couple of hours your body warmth allows it to mould into your shape.! very comfortable..I also wear their wear their shorts.....Check out       www.forcefieldperformance.com         ..I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer,good luck!

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:22:50 PM
I have a Dainese back protector that i have used for years built in to my goretex jacket and a Dainese protector that I use with my old leathers (new leathers have them built in)

Glad to say I have never had to try the effectiveness of them but they feel like a good bit of kit.

I have a few friends who have 'experience' of Knox products and they have been very good as well

Offline PaulB

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X silver
  • City / Town: Southend-on-Sea
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:39 PM
 :0461: with Mika on the Dainese protector, fits lovely in my leather jacket (ok it is also a Dainese) but I don't notice I have it in.
I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:12:00 AM
Hi Nickel
I've been using this DAINESES HPC for some years, and I'm happy with it.
In my summer jacket I wear a inner dainese protection, but during rest of the year I prefer using this HPC (it's bigger and gives more protection), and my jacket over it.
 :169:
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...

Offline Black Bob

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR800X (Black)
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:05:58 PM
Some time ago, when I was between bikes, I came across an accident on 'twisties' out towards Skegness. We were the second car on the scene only seconds after the incident. Bike hit a caravan coming the other way. Bike and rider went under the 'van. Rider was shaken of course, with a broken finger or two; but the first thing he said when he began to speak was that his back protector had saved him - he'd felt the thump in his back when something hit him.

Fast forward a year of two - when I got back on a bike again, the first item I bought was a back protector (Knox). I find it awkward sometimes, and I lurch across carparks like Richard III (or Good King Richard as he is now); but if I'm tempted to leave it at home, I remember that unknown biker sitting on the grass verge outside Skegness and put it on. I take the foam pad out of jackets and strap on the Knox.

I wouldn't say it had to be a Knox (there may be better versions for all I know) but having seen the effects one one in action I would definitely say they are worth using over a foam pad - although, of course, I hope neither you or I ever have to put one to the test.

Offline PaulB

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X silver
  • City / Town: Southend-on-Sea
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:10:35 PM
 :460: Bob, sounds like a good reason to have one to me  :028:
I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.

Offline Bitteliten

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:38:22 PM
I've used back and thorax protection as long as I've been riding motorcycle.
http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/motorcycle-protective-gear/backandchest-160-170.html

Since my heart and lunges are in front part of my body I thought it was a good idea to protect that part as well.. ;-)

I have modified the back plate a bit on the top because it pushed a bit on my Shoei XR1100 helmet making it hard to turn my head in high speed turns on my CBR

My Ruuka clothing has a back protection build in. I usually remove that. Not sure if two back platesmake sense
Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:41:54 PM by Bitteliten