Author Topic: Givi crash bars...how easy to install?  (Read 6648 times)

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Givi crash bars...how easy to install?
on: March 12, 2013, 11:30:03 AM
Get the bike on Fri...but Givi crash bars won't be here until later on in March. I've decided to install myself..and while the vast majority of it looks relatively straight forward...taking off the two side panels to access the two sets of screws looks tricky as I only see two hex screws per panel..

Do I unscrew those two screws...and the panel pops off or are there hidden ones i cant see??

Also has anyone done this job themselves...if so...any tips?

Ive got the Dct model...i take the cut out is easy enough too?

many thanks

Offline moli

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Givi crash bars...how easy to install?
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:00:26 PM
+ 5 plastic clips.
But easy to do

Offline HKP

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X-DCT
  • City / Town: Whitburn
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:23:57 PM
Ozbar the side panels are easy to come off, find the small plastic clips and push the centre in until it clicks then pull the whole thing out. 

With the Givi bars in place the panels need to be in place first as you can not remove the panels without loosening the 2 side bolts and removing the front bolt to make enough space for the side panels

Offline moli

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:58:27 PM

Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:06:16 PM by moli

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:07:51 PM
Thanks everyone..

Hey HKP hows the new bike..also hows the luggage..I'm def getting the same!

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:59:08 PM
*Originally Posted by ozbar [+]
taking off the two side panels to access the two sets of screws looks tricky as I only see two hex screws per panel..

Some pictures on this post https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,1191.16.html

Offline SPW999

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 09:50:24 AM
Hi Ozbar,

Follow the link - More advice on fitting Givi Bars.

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,1286.msg13835.html

One last thing.
When you have removed the two screws, and the plastic clips - GENTLY pull the bottom of the side panel away from the bike until the bottom lug pops out of its rubber securing grommet.   Then push the whole of the panel towards the front of the bike, to release the panel from the front securing mounting point.  If you just pull it away, then you could break off the front lug on the panel, and hey ho - EXPENSE - getting a new panel !!!!
In my original post, I stated that I used 40 ft lbs torquing up the engine mount bolts, which I found were the settings for the VFR1200, as I was unable to find anywhere the settings for the CT.  Recently when viewing the mounting instructions from SW Motech, for a CT Engine Guard, where the engine mount bolts have to be removed then replaced - to fit the stay bars for the guard - they stated that the torque settings should be 56 ft lbs !!! ???

EDIT TO ABOVE - No I am wrong - They say 54 NM - which is correct -  :431:  for my error.

I cannot remember who, but someone on the forum, has a German Maintenance Manual, from which the correct settings could be obtained, or if you are well in with your mechanic at your dealer, maybe you could get the info from him.  Then post it for all ???
There is one hell of an amount of info on this forum, and most aspects have been covered, it is just a matter of trolling through the subjects and posts to find what you require !!
Best of luck fitting the Givi Bars.

:305:     S.

PS. Included in the fitting kit are 4 bits of plastic - 2 inch x 5 inch approx - that advertise it is a Givi product and can be clamped to the bars !!  Not necessary unless you want to fit them !!
Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:10:49 PM by SPW999
Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!

Offline moli

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:17:00 AM