Author Topic: Bike Accident  (Read 1691 times)

Offline ApcUK

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200X
  • City / Town: Bedford
Bike Accident
on: March 07, 2013, 07:58:32 PM
I was in a traffic jam today (in the van) when a bike came past me, not sure what speed I'd guess between 30-40mph (the road was wet).
About 4 vehicles in front of me, a guy in the white Astra decided he had been in the queue long enough and pulled right out into the path of the bike. There was nothing he could do but hit the brakes and went over the bars.

Luckily he got up and was fine if not a little shaken, bike had a lot of panel damage

It always makes me think about my riding when I see a bike accident, I think we can all take something from what happen today and serves as a big reminder to be extra careful when filtering  :440:
Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:00:06 PM by ApcUK

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Bike Accident
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:09:37 PM
I'm glad the rider is OK.

You are right in that when we see or hear of an accident it really makes you think about your own riding. Over the years I've had 2 bad experiences with fellow riders. One was killed in front of me by an overtaking car on the A52 between Gratham and the A15 in the mid 90's, and another I was riding with, died when he became disorientated when riding in the shadow of some trees and hit an oncoming car (he was visiting Germany from the UK).
Last year an overtaking car nearly got me; thankfully just a broken leg was the result. I worry every time my son gets on his NC700S, because I know how quickly things can happen.

I hope we all have a safe year - and when you think about doing something risky, don't!

Be safe, be seen... :031:

Offline PaulB

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X silver
  • City / Town: Southend-on-Sea
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:32:17 PM
Yep makes you think, let's be careful out there folks, there are some nutters about.  :005: 
I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:48 AM
Glad to hear the rider was able to get up and walk away, but 30-40mph between slow moving cars will inevitably end with a situation like this, or very often a lot worse. All things considered I think he has got away very lightly.

It is a very good reminder to us all that we must all be able to stop in the distance we can see to be clear. I think it can easily be anticipated when riding through traffic at those sort of speeds then someone will get fed up and move without looking properly.

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:00:21 AM
Good the biker is OK. I don't know how it is in your country, but here (Belgium), a lot of cardrivers forgot the use of their indicators!!!!. They go from left to right and vice versa without looking in the mirror or using their indicators. I'm not surprised that we have a lot of accidents with motorbikes.
On a bike you should have 5 pair op eyes.