Author Topic: 360 heated grips  (Read 5964 times)

Offline fletch

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Jury still out !
  • City / Town: Heath Hayes
360 heated grips
on: March 04, 2013, 12:19:09 PM
Hope you can help. Should the genuine honda heated grips maintain a constant temperature once selected. Only used mine twice since I had the bike fom new last Friday, one short journey, one 270 miles. Grips seemed to be turning on and off.    :003:  Also right grip seems hotter than the left. Hope you guys can give me some guidance before the dealer contacts and asks how things are going. Tried looking back through some old threads but can't see anything.

Offline Southern Man

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Re: 360 heated grips
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:51:23 PM
Hi Fletch,

I'm not an expert on these things but I always think the right seems a little hotter as you tend to be gripping the throttle and trying to do things gently? That's my theory. Also. the heated grips are controlled by some electronics in a small cover which if installed incorrectly can invite water in and give problems. I was told by the dealer that the circuit board meters the outputs and can adjust what it receives and delivers. Maybe this explains, I don't know??

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:24:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Southern Man [+]
Hi Fletch,

I'm not an expert on these things but I always think the right seems a little hotter as you tend to be gripping the throttle and trying to do things gently? That's my theory. Also. the heated grips are controlled by some electronics in a small cover which if installed incorrectly can invite water in and give problems. I was told by the dealer that the circuit board meters the outputs and can adjust what it receives and delivers. Maybe this explains, I don't know??

Sounds like a good explanation, certainly I have always found the right grip a bit warmer due to having to grip it a bit tighter.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:59:02 PM
Its more to do with the left hand hand grip being directly mounted on the steel handlebar and this in turn drains some heat away through the steel ( it being a good heatsink). The right hand hand grip has the throttle part isolated/ insulated from the steel and does'nt loose as much heat. The same is noticeable on most bikes.
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline fletch

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Jury still out !
  • City / Town: Heath Hayes
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:22:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The answers are very helpful. Could not remember noticing this situation when I took the two demonstrators out last year, so just wanting to confirm with people who have had more experience with these units.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:52:40 PM
*Originally Posted by thetrecker [+]
Its more to do with the left hand hand grip being directly mounted on the steel handlebar and this in turn drains some heat away through the steel ( it being a good heatsink). The right hand hand grip has the throttle part isolated/ insulated from the steel and does'nt loose as much heat. The same is noticeable on most bikes.

Every day is a school day  :031:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:17:39 PM
Its bleedin' obvious innit ? .........................

when someone cleverer points it out   :020:

Thanks thetrecker  :305:

Offline Wittman

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Dct
  • City / Town: Clogherhead
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 10:06:44 PM
Coming from a Gs1200 the Honda heated grips are a ridiculous price and not as good as BMW I fitted bark buster handguards cheaper than SW Motech but made for SW by bark buster and I still think the BMW are far superior was out today it was about 4 degrees and not happy with the heat.

arab-exile