Author Topic: Anyone been to look at the new GS?  (Read 10070 times)

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Anyone been to look at the new GS?
on: March 03, 2013, 01:04:11 AM
Anyone tempted to have a demo??

Ill give it a go but more for curiosity to see how the new engine is.

Trev

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Anyone been to look at the new GS?
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:19 AM
Will wait until the rush is over and decide after that, but to be honest my nearest dealer is now over 60 miles along the M8 motorway so not in a rush.

Having  previously owned @ GS's I am curious to see what the new engine is like, but lets face it it's never going to be a patch on the V4

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:59:22 PM
Looking at it YES -  but honestly / personally i got no interest in a BMW Boxer and the concept. But one thing BMW is very innovative with things like ESA and also a very weight effective approach, well done. I never ridden a BMW GS.

On the topic of other bikes: i been looking at KTM 1190 adventure! .... what a great bike! It looks not as "solid" as CT but has a great "power to weight" relation! 230kg and a massive 150hp! ESA and all the up to date gadgets .... a great "adventure bike" for an "all around the world" trip.

Thinking about this .... one thing comes to my mind is that HONDA may have lost a bit of an effort on this ... CT is a great bike but sometimes i wish Honda be more on the innovative side ..... key words: weight ... ESA ...

Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:27:17 PM
Regarding the GS, any GS, been there done that, can`t afford the maintenance.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:15 PM
Looked at it today at a bike show and also the KTM 1190.
Its impressive how the GS is so light ( in the low 200's kg) and it shows no bulk in any area. It was fitted with the new Metzeler "Next" Tyres which look good and were on special elsewhere in the show at €240. The LED headlights are optional and both models were shown, the halogen conventional lights been better looking IMO.
The KTM is a much prettier bike than the last Adventure and has similar electronic modules attached to the shock and forks. Its list price of €17500 is €2300 more than a CT and not worth the premium I think.A new type Ducati Multistrada Grand Turismo was on display also at €23995..... :087:
I still feel faint...
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline GeeOoo

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: CT Adv.
  • City / Town: Farningham Ridge
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:36:31 AM
IMO The GS needs a new type of motor. They need to drop the boxer and fit a V4 or something. You cant beat the GS on looks and finish. But the costs in maintaining a GS are just ridiculess. Better to go with a S10. The KTM chain drive put me off straight away. On big heavy adventure bikes a shaft drive is a must.

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 04:33:06 PM
Never thought of the GS as being top of the class for beauty.

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:25:22 PM
*Originally Posted by GeeOoo [+]
IMO The GS needs a new type of motor. They need to drop the boxer and fit a V4 or something. You cant beat the GS on looks and finish. But the costs in maintaining a GS are just ridiculess. Better to go with a S10. The KTM chain drive put me off straight away. On big heavy adventure bikes a shaft drive is a must.

GS IS Boxer and that's their recipe and part of the success. But i regard a V4 or V2 way better too. Shaft drives make a bike heavier and it draws more power especially on a "across" side engine (GS is lenghtside mounted) So the chain concept is not totally wrong on KTM and sure it's a "light weight" bike.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html