in: andyrob

Views: 49
Posted by: Thunder
in: Thunder
Foxton Locks 5/2/17

Views: 157
Posted by: bigbob570
in: bigbob570

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aux light question  (Read 7628 times)

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Aux light question
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:10:08 AM »
Hi everyone

quick question...on my current bike (NC 700x) ive got the givi treker lights fitted. Givi supply a basic switch to turn them off an on...but i was wondering when i upgrade to the CT..will i be able to wire them into a push switch similar to the anti skid switch on the lower dash??

thanks

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Aux light question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
Hi ozbar

You can use any switch you like as long as it is capable of carrying the current that it is being asked to transfer, if not you run the risk of melting the wiring loom/switch and an electrical fire.

If you are not sure about it get an auto electrician to wire it for you, it is a very easy job and shouldn't cost much if you remove the panels yourself to save time on labour.

Offline SPW999

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Get Out There & Ride!
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
Hi Ozbar,

The Givi Trekker Lights (S310) come from Givi, with a full wiring loom, and a water resistant handlebar switch.  Included in the wiring loom supplied is RELAY, through which the lights are powered.  The supplied switch is used to switch the power on through the relay, using a low wattage current.  The switch IS NOT capable of carrying the high wattage current that the lights require. :151:

As advised by Mika get an auto electrician to fit them.  If you want to try to fit them yourself, I do have a wiring diagram from Givi for the wiring set up of the Trekkers.  If required I can scan it, and forward to you by email as a pdf. if you require.

:305:     S.

Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
The Givi uk website says -no modification is necessary to the bikes wiring...,
I have looked at the s310 kit, 2 x 55w halogen lamps are fitted ( I assumed they would be LED's at this stage) It is a big extra load (10amps) on any bike so take care as Mika and SPW999 says.
My question is - if they are switched separate to the CT's main lights and no trigger is taken from here how do you avoid blinding oncoming traffic,are they just wide beam floods? is this legal?I think on dipped beam its required to be within the MOT height cut off etc?
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline SPW999

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Get Out There & Ride!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
Hi trekker,
As you correctly state they are Halogen Bulbs, NOT LED's.  I have replaced the 55w H3 bulbs for 35W H3's.  (Less battery drain). No they are not WIDE Beam but SPOT's. (Or as Givi says - Floodlights).
I only fitted them because I live quite a distance down a single track private road - (Country track - really ) with - Pot Holes - Mud - Deer - Pheasants - occasional loose Sheep & Cattle to contend with.  They are separately switched by a handlebar switch (I replaced the Givi one with a better one).
For extra headlamp light a Nighbreaker or similar bulb or even a HID??
You are correct. It is illegal to use them on a road with the headlights switched on in Dipped Beam mode.  They can be used with the Main Beam, but should be switched with a further relay, so that when you switch off main beam, they also automatically switch off.  So really they are for OFF ROAD use only.  So as the CT like all other bikes these days runs permanently with the head lamp in dipped beam mode, you cannot legally use them on a public road as extra daytime running/position lights.  There are plenty who do !!!!
The only way I suppose you could use them in dipped mode is to have the beam angled downwards so they did not dazzle oncoming drivers, but if that is the case - Why Fit Them Anyway ?? - you are not going to get any further illumination ahead.
 For someone who wants extra daytime running/postion lights low power LED's are the way, or high power LED's with an inline automatic dimmer.  For those interested see the link, then scroll through all the seller information regarding the product to the last wiring diagram.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1600LM-Cree-Led-Light-x2-Aprilia-BMW-Ducati-Honda-Kawasaki-KTM-Suzuki-Triumph-/181057484831?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a27ddf81f

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »
Thanks SPW999, for the link and info,
Its unfair that Givi (a trusted brand) markets a product with dedicated wiring,  and then to find that its "not for road use". most law abiding folk would fit them thinking its perfectly ok only to run into all sorts of difficulty. Most of us go to foreign countries which may be more strict  on regulations than others. It would not matter in Ireland as at this stage of Austerity the police don't even have patrol cars any more, most policemen are asked to use their own cars! so check points are rare thank goodness.
May be the best option for additional spots is
1)led lamps only
2)Have 1 wide beam and 1 spot, with the wide beam coming on with the dipped beam and pointing towards the ditch area and the spot coming on with the head beam and helping in the long range area
3) easy to wire up with relays and a little more legal :084:

Offline SPW999

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Get Out There & Ride!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »
thetrecker (got it right this time!!!)
I think your option 2 - would sorry to say also be illegal, unless you fit both lights in a vertical axis to the center of the head light.
Since retiring 14 years - less 3 weeks ago, I have not had to keep up with road traffic legislation.  Thank goodness!  But I do remember, in the dim distant past, that if Aux lamps are fitted, - (and if fitted - should be working) - otherwise than in a vertical axis they should be matched pairs.  So your proposed configuration would require 4 lamps. (2 x Wide Beam on dipped & 2 x Spot on main).  Legislation with the EU - Brussels and all that, may have changed, but I would not have thought so.  EU laws have made things tougher not easier!
So 2 x Hi Lumen LED lights, configured as per the wiring diagram as per my last link, with a dimmer box, would be perfect.  No I have nothing to do with the seller!!!!  If you already have LED Aux lamps you can get the same remote dimmer from a UK supplier.

In fact the above is the way I intend to go, just have to wait for some warmer weather to start farkling - My bones, joints, and muscles do protest somewhat when working in the cold and damp.  No nice heated-brick built-concrete floored garage, just a wooden rubble floored garage in the middle of a wood !!!! Living in the country has its advantages and disadvantages. :002:  or  :003:

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »
mmm, does that mean that the Trecker gets it wrong most other times.... :019:
My suggestion was only to make the best of a bad situation and not having the rider to reach for two switches when meeting an oncoming car with head lights on, I know it would be still illegal.
 I will check out your link in detail SPW999, about dimming LED's.