Author Topic: Tank Slapper?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Tank Slapper?
on: February 23, 2013, 05:23:20 PM
Anyone experienced a tank slapper on the CT?

I ask the question as I have just been reading a report on the new water cooled GS and it appears the launch review in Bike magazine has only given the new bike a 4star rating due to an unexplainable tank slapper.

It appears the journalist had completed a 280 mile test and was returning to base down a flat straight road with cruise control set to 75MPH when the front wheel hit an imperfection in the road that set off a tank slapper so violent that it snapped the lock stop.

It also appears the tank slapper wasn’t an isolated incident.  :005:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Tank Slapper?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:34:07 PM
No, never even came close to any instability - solid as a rock. Can't say the same about my old ST1300's though, couldn't do over 120mph with a top box fitted - luckily never needed to :002:

We'll have to wait until a few more new GS's hit the road, before we can confirm it's poor stability or not  :005:

It does say in all manuals that as soon as you fit a top box, only 130kph is recommended. I've tried sticking to 130, but they insist on putting up 50, 70 and 100 signs everywhere  :745:
Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:37:26 PM by Doc

Offline gonzohop

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:45 PM
I've only had the CT for a few weeks but I've given her a good thrashing around some very bumpy, twisty roads. No hint of a tank slapper. The only two things I noticed were the anti-wheelie kicking in (too much imho) when launching it over a good sized bump and the traction control failing to kick in quickly enough when the back-end stepped out sharpish on a damp corner. Luckily, a spare pair of underpants weren't too far away...

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:50:55 PM
*Originally Posted by gonzohop [+]
Luckily, a spare pair of underpants weren't too far away...

:745:

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:37:15 AM
I think the clue is in the bit about hitting the imperfection in the road.  :164:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:48 AM
*Originally Posted by GS TRV [+]
I think the clue is in the bit about hitting the imperfection in the road.  :164:

Going by the state of the roads today, if that is the cause of the tank slapper, BMW riders may soon be called 'slappers'.  :164: