Author Topic: New Anakee 3  (Read 11511 times)

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
New Anakee 3
on: February 23, 2013, 06:53:21 AM
The latest Tyres from Michelin Anakee 3..........currently £182 pair any body fitted/tried these?

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Re: New Anakee 3
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:36:10 AM
Sounds like a great tyre for CT touring.  Seen em at the swissmoto fair last night.

Still got tread on my Anakee 2 for my first trip on easter holiday but Anakee 3 will be my next one. 
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:40:14 AM
Thats a good price for new tyres. Will be interesting to see how people get on with them, I tried the first generation of them and didn't like them at all in the wet and yet plenty of people loved them
I had Michelin PR3s on my GS when I changed it and they were a fantastic tyre in the wet but purely road tyres

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 08:41:33 AM
Ojo,
I thought we could only use tyres that Honda have in the approvals for the CT. Or can we use what we want now?

:027:

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 08:47:16 AM
I think so yes, it needs an approval. But i am sure the new tyre will have it.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:56:19 AM
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
Ojo,
I thought we could only use tyres that Honda have in the approvals for the CT. Or can we use what we want now?

:027:
Doc, would that not leave us with the choice of the 2 OE tyres from Honda. I'm not really complaining about the Pirellis I have but I have a set of Roadsmarts that will be going on at the end of next month for my trip to Spain in April.

The only time I have heard anyone mention non OE tyres was a BMW dealer last year when they were trying to knock money off my GS that had PR3s fitted

Personally I doubt if I will put dual purpose tyres back on unless I can get them at a good price and they have been recommended by others on here that have tried them on the CT as I won't (intentionally  :019: )be taking my bike off road.

I know insurance companies can be funny about some things but as long as the tyre is at least the same load and speed rating it should not be classed as a performance enhancing accessory so shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully some others will have a bit of experience if there are any disadvantages to using non OE tyres that they can share with us  :031:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:19:19 AM
Thanks Mika.
I'm not one for breaking the rules (on approvals  :007:) as it's a subject close to my heart, and as I have no problems at all with the Pirellis, I'll stick with them  :007: ...but a wide choice of 'official' rubber would be nice to have.

If I changed to non-approved rubber, had an accident, and they went official on me, I wouldn't be insured - now that would suck!

I don't know what rubber I'm officially allowed to have  :027: I need to check with my dealer.
Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:41:30 AM by Doc

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 02:33:10 PM
Doc

Please keep us updated with what your dealer says about the tyres.

Have to admit the Pirellis are the best dual purpose tyres I have had on this style of bike but I needed a new set to go to Spain and thetrecker put a post on here for a deal on Roadsmarts that was too good to ignore  :152: however I would have changed to road tyres anyway, probably the Roadsmart 2 to see how I got on with them.

Cheers

arab-exile