Author Topic: A few questions before I buy a DCT CT  (Read 8021 times)

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
A few questions before I buy a DCT CT
on: February 19, 2013, 02:57:29 PM
Hey

I have a few question that you guys can hopefully answer.

1. Pillion seat..how comfortable? The back seat on my bike is crap, and the wife is not happy to be on the back.

2. For the DCT riders, whats it like riding in D mode (normal drive) in normal traffic through the gears. The NC700x that I'm riding just now has an annoying grumble, right after the gear change, until it gains enough speed, and when you hit 5Th or 6Th the grumble is quite prominent again, until you gain more speed. I've tried driving in S mode but its too fast for town. Its almost like it needs a third setting in between D and S. Also the bike changes from 1st to 2ND gear by 9 mph..over all I find that I'm constantly using paddles to keep her in the right gear is that same on CT DCT?

Thanks for all your help, if theres anything else you think I ought to know, please reply

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Re: A few questions before I buy a DCT CT
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:10:08 PM
Hi ozba and welcome
The old fashioned clutch makes all this hassle seem so alien...
the U turn stories with DCT are a little worrying.
What do you mean by grumble ozbar? if its like the shaft drive slapping its mainly because its in too high a gear. I find with the manual (unlike previous bikes)it needs to be left in low gears until the road opens up, even 4th is suitable for 45 - 65mph back road work. The big jump between 1st and 2 nd on the CT does not help at low speeds in town

Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:12:40 PM
Good questions:

1. I don`t ride with a pillion but if it is as comfortable as the rest of the seat there`s no problem. It`s certainly a lot more comfy than a stock GS-seat...

2. Riding in D mode trough normal traffic is OK. I seldom do that, I always ride in S mode because I still use the "-"button to shift down before a sharper band or at crossings... In what country do you live if it`s too fast for town in S?  BTW, I`m a motorcycle instrucor and for me, DCT is a bliss, really. I have a hard time going back to regular trannies...

@thetrecker: what worrying U-turn stories?
Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:14:34 PM by Allroadtoad
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:52:51 PM
 :400: Ozbar......For me  the DCT is magic!!!!....I seam to have read that the DCT on the NX is a less sophisticated version / operation than that fitted to the CT and VFR1200 sport, not surprising  considering the price differentials, in reality it is perfectly suited to the bigger engines.. I have never had any problems in town traffic and almost always ride in D mode ,I find on a light throttle I am in 4/5th at 30 mph and am hard put to notice any of the gear changes. and the power is always there ,the torque on it is addictive.... Others on here prefer S mode in town and I can appreciate that in bigger towns/ denser traffic than here  (London/Manchester etc ) it could be useful..... But for me D is ok,you will find that if you use the throttle strongly in D mode then gear changes are delayed pro rata , if you do this often then the 'gubbins' learns this riding style and adapts .I Dont carry a pillion that often ,but those that have sampled it have been impressed with the comfort.. They will be more impressed ,though ,with the absence of banging helmets on the DCT... If the concept of tight 'U' turns worries you,  it is much less of an issue than the stories suggest , it can be substantially mitigated by trailing a little rear brake ( even though they are  'linked brakes' ) until you get to the position of  accepting that there really wasn't a problem!...
This is one seriously excellent bike,,,get out there and have a test ride ..BUT don't do it unless you can afford it  as you won't want to give it back!!!!!! :305:

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:03 PM
Her who has to be obeyed has stated that the CT is as comfortable as the Pan we use for touring. If she’s happy I’m happy.

Can’t help with the DCT, still using my toes

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:20:19 PM
Thanks for the info..I'm def buying one...most likely in summer....good to hear it's comfy in the back. Once i've paid off a year on the finance I'll trade my NC7000x in. Love the bike, but too many little niggly things that make me just want to trade up. Demo day in April, DCT ordered so will have a go then. Did you guys go for the expensive honda luggage or go for the givi gear?

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Irvine
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 06:25:08 PM
Hello Ozbar
My wife's on the back most times, she reckons its one of the most comfortable bikes sat on so far. As for DCT, I use the sport mode in towns, and flip the gears in manual when required. I find that D mode is probably looking for economy and goes up through the gears too quick. It can be a little rough as the gear is too high and the speed too low. I only keep D mode for motorways.
I dont have any problems with low speed manouvers and U turns are a doodle. Not heard of any issues with this though.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:02:10 PM
*Originally Posted by ozbar [+]
Thanks for the info..I'm def buying one...most likely in summer....good to hear it's comfy in the back. Once i've paid off a year on the finance I'll trade my NC7000x in. Love the bike, but too many little niggly things that make me just want to trade up. Demo day in April, DCT ordered so will have a go then. Did you guys go for the expensive honda luggage or go for the givi gear?

I went for the SE which comes with Honda luggage (amongst other things) because i liked the way it looks on the bike and the way the bike still looks nice without the luggage (no scaffolding left behind :038:).

BUT

the topbox has problems!!!

a full face lid won't fit in without using the expanding zip but the lid front edge is 'fixed' by a hinge so it only really expands at the rear end :157:

add to this the fact that several owners have complained about water ingress, me included (through the hinge area) and the topbox starts to look like an expensive and badly designed part of the luggage system from Honda. I still like the looks of it but it just isn't worth buying unless they actually change the design.

I asked my dealer to replace my genuine topbox under warranty which they did without question BUT when i went with mine so they could swop the key barrels over i asked if it had been redesigned by honda......."i don't think so" came the reply  "the new box is the same part number as yours".

I did 200 miles on sunday (dry, but occasional spray) and washed the bike when i got home........opened the topbox and was dismayed to find water inside again :232:

I rang the dealer to complain and ask for an alternative topbox and they were very helpfull, they offered me a colour coded box from another Honda model but i asked if i could have a Givi trekker & mounting plate instead. They will supply and fit a 52ltr trekker on my next visit.

You will hear that many owners have already gone this route and with the quick release mounting racks for panniers available now it should be a doddle to buy a 3 box Givi set for little over HALF the cost of the Honda stuff.

Other established aftermarket luggage systems are also available

Ian

arab-exile