Author Topic: Which motorcycle suit do you use?  (Read 7269 times)

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Which motorcycle suit do you use?
on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:01 PM
I`m a heavy user. Up until this day I ride with a Stadler allweather suit which is tailor made (I`m not your average build, so to speak) and I have a Lindstrands suit as a cheaper suit which is to have some variety (and to be able to let the Stadler dry).

The Stadler is now 8 years old and after >350K kms it`s not as waterproof as should be, it`s deteriorating. I started to look for a decent replacement and some guys I know import the brand "KLIM". Also not your average suits: upper market so to speak but with the enduro/heavy user in mind. After a lot of tinkering about a new suit I actually decided and ordered the KLIM Badlands Pro, no a cheap suit but I have to live in it for the next decade hopefully.

Klim Badlands Pro Jacket and Pants Review by Adventure Designs

I`m kinda curious: what do you people wear on the bike?
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Which motorcycle suit do you use?
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:03:32 PM
I wear a goretex suit from Hein Gericke, goretex boots from Hein Gericke also. They do what they have to do. Keep me warm and dry until now  :028:.
For the summer i have a Hein Gericke Air suit (if i loose a few pounds in the next months  :087:)
No catalogue pictures because they change their models quickly

Offline Vrom

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:21:24 PM
I have the IXS Toronto jacket. It's lined with pro-shell-gore-tex witch means that the gore-tex is just underneath the outer layer.
The jacket never gets wet or cold because water never gets further than the outer layer. Because of that it gets dry really quick to. Aparently the pro-shell lining is rather expensive, the jacket is about 700 €  :087:

Pants are a pair of normal gore-tex IXS caracas.

Boots and gloves are issued by my employer, the Belgian Police  :152:
(where I drive a GS... hey, nobody's perfect  :001:)

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:22:51 PM
Another Hein Gericke goretex user here, the Proshell is the flagship stuff, it has come down a little in price in the last 2 years.The lining is "Gortex XCR" (extended comfort range) and is a joy to use, never too hot or cold. you never think of the technology, it just works.
 A friend paid £1100stg for the Rukka suit but its too bulky and has'nt "broken in"like most suits do,it leaves him  too stiff with limited movement on the bike. the main zip leaks just the same as £150 jackets!
Interested to hear how the Klim performs, I like the way the sleeve ends mate with gloves, I think it has a water pack incorporated in the back?
I think Spidi have a new quality jacket out that's getting good reviews also. may'be its the one with the water pack..
Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:06:25 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:14:03 PM
The Badlands pro is no cheap bugger too, Jacket is about 899€ for the jacket and 649€ for the pants and this suit is not a multi layer suit. It`s only a waterproof goretex shell with heavy armacor. Luckily it`s issued by my boss, I only had to decide but it`s a heavy decision, because after it gets here I`m stuck with it for the next 5 years or so....

GORE-TEX® 3-LAYER PRO SHELL
GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY®
HIGH STRENGTH FABRICS COMBINE IN A DURABLY BREATHABLE WATERPROOF JACKET
HIGH-MOBILITY ACTIVE FIT PATTERNING FOR UNMATCHED COMFORT
PRE-CURVED ARM AND RIDER POSITIONING CONSTRUCTION
GORE-TEX® STRETCH SHOULDER PANELS MINIMIZE RESTRICTION OF MOVEMENT
D3O CE-RATED INTEGRATED LIMB AND BACK PANEL ARMOR SYSTEM [VIPER PRO LEVEL II BACK ARMOR}
DOW CORP. SILICONIZED SPACER MESH FRONT CHEST ARMOR
ADJUSTABLE ARMOR POCKETS FOR REFINED PLACEMENT
HIGHLY ABRASION RESISTANT ARMACOR PANELS IN KEY IMPACT AND WEAR AREAS
INTEGRATED JACKET-STABILIZING, REMOVABLE AND ADJUSTABLE KIDNEY BELT SUPPORT SYSTEM
7 EXTERNAL POCKETS [5 CARGO FRONT, 1 LARGE BACK, 1 SLEEVE I.D.}
4 INTERNAL POCKETS [2 ZIPPERED, 2 MESH STASH}
1 SECRET INTERNAL POCKET
BOTTOM HEM ADJUSTMENT
JACKET-TO-PANT ZIPPER INTEGRATION SYSTEM
4 SLEEVE ADJUSTMENT STRAPS
LINED COMFORT COLLAR
MESH COMFORT LINER
MAX FLOW VENTILATION: 8 PORTS
4 ARM INTAKES, 2 PIT INTAKES
2 VERTICAL BACK EXHAUSTS
INDUSTRIAL GRADE 3M SCOTCHLITE™ REFLECTIVE PANELS AND TRIM
HYDRATION SYSTEM COMPATIBLE WITH BLADDER POCKET AND HOSE PORT ROUTING [BLADDER NOT INCLUDED}
RUBBER COATED BUTTON CLOSURE
YKK® ZIPPERS THROUGHOUT, WATER RESISTANT URETHANE COATED IN EXPOSED AREAS.
VELCRO ADJUSTABLE WRIST CLOSURES
Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:15:36 PM by Allroadtoad
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:08:07 PM
I have one of their 'cheaper 'outfits --the Traverse-- and find it very comfortable..It has the bonded gortex layer which I like.. A good product with a good reputation and a guarantee to match Rukka...
I also use Forcefield body armour ,very comfortable and easy to wear with the Klim,,-back piece , vest and pant with built in armour..

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:30 PM
I got a Held Carese motorcycle suit:

HELD Carese Gore-Tex Jacket Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Been having it for 4 years now and went through many many countries with it.

Good things:
-really 4 season use, as it got a inside Goretex jacket
-very good Ventilation system
-comfortable to wear

What i didn't like:
-it is only waterproof when you wear the inside Goretex jacket or pants, so in summer ... tell me who gona stop beside of the road and fiddle around with ya pants and jacket .... takes you ages to put on that gear  :110: ...
-i had some issues with zipper getting very stuck at times especially forearm ones. Might have had to do with the australian outback sand ...
-also had to do some "homemade" Velcro fastener on forarms. Original ones just would not keep things in place.

But alltogether it's a great suit and i would not want to miss it on my long travels. My main thing at the time i bought it was it's great ventilation system. And i tell you it's really great.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:43:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Allroadtoad [+]
I`m a heavy user. ..............  new suit I actually decided and ordered the KLIM Badlands Pro, no a cheap suit but I have to live in it for the next decade hopefully.
No doubt that sure is a really great suit for everyday use and long travels .... keeping you safe and dry.

However, i wondering how "breathable" those high end fabrics really are once run in in everyday use. How good is the ventilation on the hotter days?
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html