Author Topic: SW-Motech Barkbuster Hand Guards - Fitment Hint !!  (Read 3194 times)

Offline SPW999

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
SW-Motech Barkbuster Hand Guards - Fitment Hint !!
on: February 16, 2013, 02:44:01 PM
Do not know whether anyone else out there has fitted - SW-Motech Barkbuster Hand Guards.

For those that haven't and may be thinking about fitting, cos the OEM Handguards are to say the least - NOT very efficient at keeping away the elements from your hands.  In fact they tend to increase the amount of water onto your hands when riding in the wet.

I seem to remember a homemade - Homebase - Plastic Paint scraper - fitment to increase the area of protection, was posted  way back.  But anyway, back to the main point of this topic.

The instructions received with the new hand guards:
State - Preparation - Remove the original hand guards. - NOTHING FURTHER !!!!!!

IN FACT: Not only must the original hand guards be removed.  In order for the SW-Motech Hand guards to fit correctly, one must:-

ALSO: Remove the Plastic Box Section around the Brake & Clutch Lever Pivot Bolt, to which the inner ends of the OEM Hand guards are secured.

No problems in doing so.  Undo the nut on the underside of the pivot bolt.  Lever Out small metal insert in the plastic  - retain for re-assembly.  Unscrew the pivot bolt from the top. Remove completely, holding brake or clutch lever in place.  Remove the Plastic box section.  Then replace the pivot bolt. Tighten down, and then replace the small metal insert and nut and tighten.  It is a nylock type nut, so no need for any Loctite.

Once the box section has been removed.  There are no further problems with finishing the fitment of the SW-Motech guards as per the instructions given.

Hope the above assists someone.

When I did it - one and half hours for the Left side.  20 mins for the Right.  So with the above should be One hour max for fitting both.   :152:

:305:    S.
Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!

Offline SPW999

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
Re: SW-Motech Barkbuster Hand Guards - Fitment Hint !!
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:19:11 PM
Sorry but this post should have been in the:

Accessories and Products section of the Forum, not where I have put it. :159:

Ce La Vie  !!

:305:     S.
Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 03:23:48 PM
I have them since september:

`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:56:04 PM
They certainly look a lot more substantial than the OE  :062:

Offline Huncadrew

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:49:31 PM
Hi not sure whether I should start a new thread on this but I have bought barkbuster handguards product BHG46.2-NP which it says is for the crosstourer but spent best part of 2 hours yesterday trying to fit with no joy, looking at pictures from allroad the brackets that fit on handebars are different, mine wont fit behind the brake reservoir,  anyone else fitted who can send me some pics of how they have done it