Author Topic: Centre stand operation?  (Read 12856 times)

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Centre stand operation?
on: February 06, 2013, 08:06:00 PM
Has anyone developed a technique for putting the CT on to the centre stand?  I feel I’m exerting far too much effort for such a simple operation.

Feels like the stand is to long to lever over centre, I have now taken to using a plank of wood to lift the back wheel higher but this really isn’t the solution. Any suggestions ?

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Centre stand operation?
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:28:08 PM
- Grab your bike left hand on left grip, right hand on pillion grip
- don`t stand too far from the bike, place right foot firmly with the front sole on the center stand lever
- push your foot down, make sure both legs of the center stand are on the surface, wiggle the bike a bit towards and from you to feel both legs actually leveling on the surface
- Left foot standing firm on the ground, apply now all pressure on your right foot sole and pull the bike UP with your right arm., making sure you look forward for more stability : Do not look down, if you loose balance it`s because you`re looking down, the bike will fall over because your looking down  :013:
- do it in one movement, this will cost you less power, you need the flow to do so. Use your body weight  as good as possible.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:58 PM
Couldn't have described a better way to do it - swift movement is the key.  :460:  Top Info!

*Originally Posted by Allroadtoad [+]
- don`t stand too far from the bike, place right foot firmly with the front sole on the center stand lever
- push your foot down, make sure both legs of the center stand are on the surface, wiggle the bike a bit towards and from you to feel both legs actually leveling on the surface
- Left foot standing firm on the ground, apply now all pressure on your right foot sole and pull the bike UP with your right arm., making sure you look forward for more stability : Do not look down, if you loose balance it`s because you`re looking down, the bike will fall over because your looking down  :013:
- do it in one movement, this will cost you less power, you need the flow to do so. Use your body weight  as good as possible.

Offline LP

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leuven
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:17:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Allroadtoad [+]

:0461:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:43:19 AM
 :460: As one who struggles with this i will have a go at re-learning this operation when i get home at the weekend  :305:

Offline jacob

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:11:14 AM
 :0461: :460: the one item I will add is that it is not so much the lift but most important is the push down from the right leg.
What you are actually doing to do smoothly and easily is not lift the bike onto the stand rather stand on the stand and this action does the lift for you.
Your hands and arms are only to steady the bike not lift it, it is all done with the legs ... very much like rock climbing.
KEY is make sure it is sitting on BOTH legs before you do the push down !! 
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline SPW999

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:20:50 AM
Allroadtoad  :460: .

All the info given becomes ever more important, when you are touring and have fully loaded panniers.

Especially making sure that BOTH feet of the stand are on the ground. (Preferably LEVEL).

Then Use your own weight, NOT your perceived strength.

Another TIP. (Not wishing to tell anyone - How to Suck Eggs!)

Make sure as far as possible, that the level ground is BOTH :-

Front and Back and Side to Side of the bike.  Even if you have to park it some distance away from where you are visiting.

Better a bit of a walk, than to drop the bike on attempting to put it on the stand, or Not being able to get it off the stand on your return !!!!

:305:  S.
Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!

Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:15:00 PM
Out of the bikes I have owned, I find the CT particularly EASY to put on the centre stand. This means that the designers did a great job with the design and position of the CT centre stand.

The big clue is PUSH DOWN WITH YOUR RIGHT LEG!

I do three things all at once... Pull the left bar toward you, lift from the pillion grab bar with your right arm, and push as hard as you can DOWN with your right leg on the centre stand lever.

Like others have said, be sure both feet of the stand are on the ground with a slight wiggle before you start.
2012 VFR1200X Cross Tourer
2016 CRF1000 Africa Twin
2008 ABS XL1000V Varadero
1997 XRV 750 Africa Twin

arab-exile