Author Topic: Wiring accessories/ Electrical questions  (Read 14292 times)

Offline coops

• Crosstourer Member
Wiring accessories/ Electrical questions
on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:45 AM
Today I got some time and decided to be brave and remove the side panels and install my crash bars. Studying the pictures and instruction here it was a very easy job. Thanks to everybody who posted pictures and shared experience!

The second part of the job was to see where I can wire my Garmin cradle and auxiliary lights. At the dealer I had heated grips fitted earlier (not the OEM Honda) and was curious to see how it was done and eventually use it as an example.

On the picture you can see ( #1), they did it by splicing to one of the wires ( Yellow/black) of the connector for the quarte harness (I guess this is the place to connect it.) At the electrical scheme posted on the forum I found that yellow/black cable is for the accessories and it goes to the fuse block (10A). I guess, I can use this one for my Garmin too. Strider had a post showing a picture with wiring it through the top part of the connector.

Here comes the tricky part, where I should wire my lights? On this same connector there are 4 wires, GREEN -ground, Yellow/Black( Accessories), White/Green ( RETROECLAIRAGE INSTRUMENTS -whatever it means?! 10A) and Red/Blue.

Do you know where I can by cable lugs, which will fit in round holes in this connectors?

BTW, do you know what is the thing in circle  #2 on the picture?

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XCE,
  • City / Town: Mukdahan/ UK
Re: Wiring accessories/ Electrical questions
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:50:23 AM
Try Eastern Beaver :164: on this link, they seem to be able to supply any connectors you may need

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:52:30 PM
Other than the heated grips that were fitted by the dealer all my accessories are fed by a fused relay to a multi fuse block so that I can have the appropriate fuse for each item.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:24:32 PM
Coops, Your CT is different than mine so I shall have to look, I think #2 in the photo is not anything to do with what you are trying to do. If the aux lights you are going to use have 2x 55 watt halogen lamps fitted you will overload the cable and pop the 10a fuse! I assume the aux lamps are led?
I will look, but I think the cables in the connector - some are permanent live and some are switched live through the ignition and one is an earth. Will confirm
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:23:07 PM
*Originally Posted by thetrecker [+]
Coops, Your CT is different than mine so I shall have to look, I think #2 in the photo is not anything to do with what you are trying to do. If the aux lights you are going to use have 2x 55 watt halogen lamps fitted you will overload the cable and pop the 10a fuse! I assume the aux lamps are led?
I will look, but I think the cables in the connector - some are permanent live and some are switched live through the ignition and one is an earth. Will confirm

I was in at my dealer today asking about running additional lights from the quarte harness and they confirmed that if you add halogen lights along with heated grips to this you will overload the wiring loom and risk melting the cable.
They would fit either grips or halogen lights but not both, the lights that Honda supply are LED and therefore don't draw the same current hence the reason they can plug them directly to the harness.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:08:06 PM
Thanks Mika
2x 55 watt lamps=110w = just under 10 amps
I think someone here said the heated grips were 50 watts approx = just over 4 amps
Total load 14 amps, and the cable is fused at 10 amps so it will simply blow, cable melt will only occur if the fuse is changed for a higher amp type.
If Honda fused it at 10 amps the cable is capable of carrying 10 amps.
Any load approaching 10 amps (if you are not sure) should be ran through a relay fed directly from a  suitably fused supply from the battery.
LED's are the way to go to save the battery and regulator IMO :001:
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline coops

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:52:36 PM
I finally got all parts I need to make my own fusebox with a relay, AMP superseal connectors etc.  While I was waiting everything to arrive I  went to the dealer and bought the harness (only 20E).

As my aux light are LED (12W each) this is only 2A. I have heated grips and they are like 5A both on max.  With a 10A fuse on the accessory I can even connect my GPS.

I started already crimping cables and connector, but maybe will not install the fusebox at the moment.

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:52:20 PM
Can any of you electrical gurus offer a bit of advice. I've already got the Honda heated grips fitted to my bike but over the coming weeks i would like to fit a sat nav, heated jacket and gloves and possibly spot lights too. I'm guessing that the best way to fit all this gear would be to fit a fuseblock. If so i need a switched live feed. Doesn't the harness for the heated grips have additional sockets that i could take a feed from. Any idea which of the wires is a switched live or is there a better alternative?

Any advice would be appreciated.

. . . Terry

arab-exile