Author Topic: Handbrake  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Handbrake
on: January 29, 2013, 04:41:20 PM
I was wondering how everyone is using the handbrake on the DCT CT - if at all.

I have used it when parking the bike on a gradient, otherwise I've never used it. What about you?

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Handbrake
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:10:25 PM
Although I have a manual I don't leave it in gear unless on a hill so wouldn't see the point of using the handbrake on a DCT unless on a hill either.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:24:26 PM
I've only used it once....but i still also wedged the front wheel against a banking so it could'n't roll forward

It was on a narrow lane where i couldn't turn around so had no option but to have the bike facing downhill :157:

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 07:45:23 PM
I always leave my bikes parked in gear. Don’t ask me why, maybe an habit picked up my trials days.

Would recommend in gear on the Ferry or the Chunnel although I also use a loop of inner tube on the front brake that locks both wheels so I suppose in gear is redundant.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:54:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Feet up [+]
I always leave my bikes parked in gear. Don’t ask me why, maybe an habit picked up my trials days.

Would recommend in gear on the Ferry or the Chunnel although I also use a loop of inner tube on the front brake that locks both wheels so I suppose in gear is redundant.

Now the chunnel would be ideal situation for the DCT's handbrake  :028:
Just can't think of a reason to go the other way across the channel when the Alps are a few hours away  :164:

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:30:57 PM
A few things on the handbrake: mine would not really "work" very well, always seems to be on the loose side when i want to use it. Well, I never use it on parking the bike though.

But what i miss is the possibility to "put in a gear" or as with DCT "put on brakes" when - say - i have to stop beside of a slopy road! There are situations where you want to have a look at a map or figure out navi things or have a chat or whatever....  It can be tricky to keep the bike steady even on only slight rising or falling roads. What i usually do is put my foot on the brake lever so that just ok .... but also something to get used to at the beginning.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 06:15:28 PM
The amount of 'grab' is easily adjustable on the extra 'rear parking brake caliper'  (look under the shaft drive)

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Irvine
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 05:47:14 PM
I've not used the "handbrake" yet, but I know I will when I park on inclines.  The ct is a big lump, a reverse gear would have been handy at times though  :745:!!

arab-exile