Author Topic: Kevin Ash Fatal Accident  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Bedford
Kevin Ash Fatal Accident
on: January 27, 2013, 11:40:51 AM
I don't know if you guys have heard but the motorcycle journalist Kevin Ash as died testing the new BMW1200GS.
No one is releasing much news on what actually happened yet but its not good news my thoughts go to his family.
 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267144/Kevin-Ash-British-motorcycle-writer-killed-accident-fellow-journalists-trying-BMW-motorcycle-press-launch.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:43:52 AM by Strider

Offline SPW999

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
Re: Kevin Ash Fatal Accident
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:57:33 AM
See Thread - On Two Wheels - Re: Kevin ASH - RIP, started by IanM on 24th Jan.   :430:

:305:   S.
Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:00:42 PM by SPW999
Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:14:10 PM
Hi Strider,
Yes, we have been made aware in another thread. A tragedy. He will be missed by all, whether we agreed with him all the time or not, he was a great jounalist. He provoked debate, which is good for us all. He will leave a void in the Motorcycle journalism world.

I am sure all our thoughts are with his family and close friends at this sad time. RIP.

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:34:31 PM
I must admit it came as a big shock to me when I heard about it yesterday. I've been to Cornwall for a few days so I've only just heard.
What a tragedy I still can't believe it. I don't understand how this could of happened.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:51:04 PM
I know how quickly accidents can happen first hand, whether it is our fault or not. One bit of bad ground off-road followed by a bad fall and...
Nothing can prepare you for such news, and it takes time to sink in. Sadly, this kind of accident happens to countless people every single day. We can only do our best and hope it doesn't happen to us - after all, we all know that we are very vunerable on a motorcycle.

Like you say though Strider, it's still hard to believe.

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:38:04 PM
From what I can gather on the net the accident happened on a gravel road and it was a single bike incident although a bunch of guys were riding in a group.
There were some serious pro off road riders at the event. Apparently the organisers warned all riders to ride at their own pace as there was a lot of challenging terrain.
I imagine riding an unfamiliar bike off road would be very challenging in itself but riding with off road experts even more of a challenge.

It's sad news indeed and although I didn't always agree with some of his reviews he always encouraged debate, he will be sadly missed.   

Offline Carl

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:42:37 AM
Deep ruts on both sides of the road are suspected of having been involved.

http://idratherberiding.com/2013/01/24/kevin-ash-dies-in-accident-at-the-2013-bmw-r1200gs-press-launch/

:003:

Offline SPW999

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-Silver
  • City / Town: Singleton
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 01:33:43 PM
When reading ALL the reports available - however sketchy. It would appear that Kevin Ash, lost control of his bike, on a dirt, rutted and very dusty gravel road.  He was apparently following many other, very experienced Off-Road Bikers. He lost it and came off.  He fell to the ground.
But as in Marco Simoncelli's case, he was hit by a following rider, which resulted in his fatal injuries.

A Tragic Accident.

Seems that the rider that collided with him, who was also injured- (dislocated shoulder) is now being investigated for :- Culpable Homicide.
Time will tell.

RIP-Kevin Ash

Keep it on the Black Stuff or Dirt - BUT - Rubber Side Down.  Else it hurts!