Author Topic: Hyperpro Spring Upgrade  (Read 25648 times)

Online mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Estero
Re: Hyperpro Spring Upgrade
Reply #56 on: June 16, 2019, 03:44:26 PM
I was under the impression that Traxxion AK20s were sealed cartridges...not cartridge emulators.  Could be wrong...

Online Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
Reply #57 on: June 16, 2019, 07:06:52 PM
So could I!
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
Reply #58 on: June 16, 2019, 10:41:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Plane Dr [+]
The gods have spoken.  I need to price out fork stuff.  TOTALLY blew out the seal in the RH leg.  I've never had one that actually puked it's oil out like this though.

I was thinking about this for awhile and don't have much cash.  But...  now to review the traxxion emulators as well

Very, very likely you have debris in between the seal and the leg.   Dirt bike riders get this very often.  You can purchase little folk seal "clearers".... or you can purchase a $3 canister of 35mm film.

I've been doing this for decades.   

Funny and sad, how many riders get a seal leak....  promptly take it to the dealer and....  $300-400 thank you Sir.   

Clear the seal for $3... .and keep riding.

Online Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #59 on: June 17, 2019, 02:27:57 AM
No recent dirt riding.  I had noticed it was damp but not a leak.  I ran fork sox on the DRZ and have been pondering them for this but didn't want to be making an ADV statement.  only so much room at starbucks.

I'm thinking I might be honing too much.  I blame it on the top box. So many sammiches in their for my lunch, upset the balance and the front is too light then....
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Online Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #60 on: June 29, 2019, 08:16:00 PM
So hyperpro kit installed $300 in dealer parts and labor to rebuild the front forks and install the hyperpro springs and swap the rear spring.

$330 for the hyperpro kit.

$140 for brake pads.  The one was oil soaked but at 16k miles I bet I had maybe 4-5k left in them.  Big fat commuter with DCT.  A little surprised but not shocked.

So $770 in.

Ironically the maintenance light came on on my civic.  $230 in parts and labor.  At least it totaled a nice round number!   :087:

Online mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #61 on: June 29, 2019, 08:34:25 PM
I ordered hyperpro springs and a custom rear shock.  Still waiting for it to arrive.  How do you like the Hyperpro springs?  I am like a kid at Christmas...can not wait to get something going on on the suspension for this bike. 

Online Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #62 on: July 01, 2019, 03:00:54 PM
I haven't done a proper set up yet.  I haven't had time.  The forks look like the same settings they had when I sent them out.  Rear preload is backed right off.

The ride to work on my normal route was amazing.  There is all manner of crap road and  it was closer to meeting my expectations than ever.  This is what I expected this bike to feel like new.   So not as good as cartridges and replacement shocks.  But pretty darn good for what I have into it.  The throttle is better as well.  Not having the jarring coming through the bars means less involuntary movement.

If you could do this yourself I wouldn't hesitate.  I dont have the tools to it so the fork seal was the excuse.  I tried several auto spring compressors on the rear shock, none gripped it properly.  In the end a local shop swapped the spring for me.  It took 10 minutes versus what I expect would have been at least a sketchy hour.

I can't wait to get it set up at this point.

Online mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #63 on: July 01, 2019, 05:25:17 PM
Thanks, Doc.  Glad to hear that it is an improvement.  Hopefully, it gets even better once you dial it in.  If I recall correctly my parts are expected to ship this Thursday.  I have to travel for work for the next two weeks.  I'll decide in the next day or two if I am going to do it here at home or take it to the shop.  I think that if they get here in time, I'll just drop it off and have them do the work while I am away.   I am in the process of reworking my garage which will play into that decision.  Anyhow, thanks for the update and look forward to hearing more.  I'll keep you posted once my bike gets sorted out.     

arab-exile