2012 09 11 09 19 20

Views: 551
Posted by: regis
in: Regis
DSC 0178

Views: 375
Posted by: Vrom
in: Vrom

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hyperpro Spring Upgrade  (Read 18389 times)

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XCE,
  • City / Town: Mukdahan/ UK
Hyperpro Spring Upgrade
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:14:07 AM »

Well after a 4 week wait my Hyperpro spring upgrade kit arrived in Thailand today.  :046: :046:

I have found the front end really to soft and having to wind the pre load fully in but then the front becomes too harsh, and constantly bottoming out.
So today before I removed the forks I thought I would measure the sag on the old springs and compare this against the new Hyperpro.

Total free length no weight on the forks 185mm from the seal to the brake carrier casting
Total travel forks fully compresses 40mm from the casting gives 145mm free travel

Bike sat upright under its own load 132mm, giving 53mm sag!!
Me sat on the bike 117mm so total sag with rider 68mm!!  :086:  :003:
These measurements were taken with the preload adjusters fully wound in so max preload
This explains why the bike is very harsh while riding any rough roads as you only have 77mm  travel left on the front end with the original springs.

Fitted the Hyperpro springs and oil supplied with me sat on preload on full total Sag 34mm!!  :002:equating to 111mm free travel left.
Tomorrow is test day but on a short 50km ride today the bike feels more confident when tackling the dirt roads here.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Hyperpro Spring Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »
Can`t wait to hear your next test ride report, I think you`ll be happy. I still am!
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
This is a mod im seriousl;y thinking about so the more info the better please mate  :169:

maybe im unrealsitic and thinking that i can turn the CT front end into a GS but its worth a try anyway

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »
Actually, it`sstill no GS but I can`t say that`s a bad thing...
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »
[quote

maybe im unrealsitic and thinking that i can turn the CT front end into a GS but its worth a try anyway
[/quote]

YES!  i feel is the answer
I never really have taken much notice of the suspension on the CT but i was in Laos last week where 50% of the roads are red dirt so it was easy to see where the max travel was by the wiper seal on the fork leg, so i asked a mate to make a mark to the bottom of the wiper seal when i sat on the bike, and i was shocked to see how little travel there was left about 80mm :084:
Have a look on You Tube there are 100 videos on how to set up the sag etc, very interesting to watch and you will realise nearly 70mm of sag is twice the recommended amount.
The fork job took me less then 60 minutes for both legs, done 95% by myself and 5% the girlfriend when i needed to dissasemble the leg, and the tools i had are home made jungle type as there is sweet F All available here!
Will post pics of these home made devices later
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:35:25 AM by revenue »

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:46:11 AM »
Here is another thing i noticed when i removed the rear wheel to fit the new rear spring, quite a bit of corrosion on the studs and drive plate and this is nice warm dry Thailand!!  :084:
Call for some copper grease on assembly.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:33:57 AM by revenue »

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »
I'm curious.
I don't go off-road so I've no problms with the CT's suspension, but is the CT's suspension so bad off-road that you have to upgrade, or is the new suspension an 'even better' tweak?

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »
OEM suspension is always a compromise; on One hand the bike must feel like a good ride to the bulk of motorcycling people, ob the other hand a motorcycle manufacturen wants to spend as little as money possible in order to make a profit. So, is OEM bad? No, it's adequate. It works. Now, i know this from a guy within BMW: a Standard GS1200 showa shock will cost over 700 euros if you want to buy one grom BMW. Yet BMW pays about 38(!!!!) euros per shock....to showa. Showa als wants to make a profit so they compromissen as well...  This is economy.  It naked the bikes reasonably affordable for the average customer and the average customer does not push the bike to such limits that (s)he encounters problems.. but for those who do, you feel it right away. If you upgrade to say hyperpro, everybody will notice the difference!
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

arab-exile