Author Topic: Hi from Cornwall  (Read 2609 times)

Offline snix39

• Crosstourer Junior
  • City / Town: St austell
Hi from Cornwall
on: January 12, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Hello to everybody ,my name is Simon I'm 48 and a long time Honda fan having owned several CX 500's ( don't laugh) cb750- 900's, CBX 1000,and the last one CB 1300 and have registered to get your views and to help decide whether the crosstourer will be the right bike for me, I currently own a zzr1400 which I bought new in 2010, well the time has come (thankfully) to change, so looking forward to spending some time on the site to get the lowdown on plus and minus points of the Crosstourer. :028:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Hi from Cornwall
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:28:27 PM
 :400:  Simon. You will get lots of good information from the guys on this site (and there's lots on info on here already - so start browsing)

Without wishing to state the obvious, get down to your Honda dealer and take the CT our for a long run - and don't dismiss the DCT until you've tried it!

No need to keep this quiet, I had 2 CB250NA's - and I'm proud to say I loved 'em!

:400: :400: :400:
Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:40:09 PM by Doc

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:03:14 PM
 :400: to the forum

Best research you can do is go to a local dealer and take one out for a good long run. It was only after about 50 miles that I really started to enjoy the bike. I did over 200 miles on my first demo with the DCT and then went out on a manual, but to be honest I had already made my mind up after the first run that I would be buying a CT.

This is my first Honda in almost 30 years, been on BMW GS's for the last decade and Kawasaki ZX9R's prior to them. The CT is a great all round bike and our opinions on here are all subjective, you need to try it for yourself to see how you get on with it.

As yet there doesn't appear to be any reliability issues with the bike, not that many folk are looking for them as after all Honda have built their reputation on a quality product.

Plenty of us are adding aftermarket parts to custom the bike to our own needs, but out the crate it is still a great package.

There is also a bit of a debate about which colour is the fastest, before anyone else tries to tell you it is red.  :305:

Enjoy the forum! :031:

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:48:25 PM
Welcome

I had my mind made up before any test ride. After testing VFR1200 a couple of years back I couldn’t wait for a bike with that V4 engine to be delivered with a riding position that would allow me to ride it for more than  hour. I hadn’t expected the engine to be retuned and deliver the torque of the CT; it pulls from nothing and makes the gearbox semi redundant unless you’re on a mission.

The riding position is all day comfortable even with the standard show room seat although you may want to fit the Honda touring screen or one of the many aftermarket options that are available.

Build quality is typical Honda although some of our members have reported issues with Honda heated grips, loose steering head bearings and clutch chatter. Suggest you take Doc’s advice and checkout the threads on this site in particular the SE against the standard machine, it may help you when specifying you new bike.

My experience is all positive with the exception of maybe the suspension being a little skippy on country lanes.
Have to agree with Mika, the fastest colour is without doubt Red.

Offline Southern Man

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:01:09 PM
Cornwall, now that's where we went with the CT in Sept. Great roads. Love the place. I agree with Mika. I had a VFR1200 for 2 years, great bike but the comfort wins out for me on the CT. I don't think the clutch chatter is a problem or issue. It sounds the same as every bike I have had at standstill, pull the clutch in and it goes away! I had the heated grip problem on the VFR and its down to the installation. There is a 'flexible' cover which contains some wiring and circuitry and if this is mounted upwards it invites water to get in. My dealer was aware due to my VFR and has taken precautions this time on the CT.

Get on one and go out for a long ride!

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:26:45 PM
 :400: snix .... CT is a great bike  :305:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline jacob

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:44:52 AM
 :400: from Australia  :018:
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:19:02 AM
 :400: from Catalonia

And don't doubt that black Crosstourer is a really brilliant bike ...  :169: :169:
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...