Author Topic: UK pot holes!  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
UK pot holes!
on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:16 PM
I went to Blackpool in the car at Xmas to see my family and was amazed how bad the roads are - there are huge pot holes everywhere  :005:

I don't know if riding in the UK would be any fun looking out for huge holes in the road all the time - is it the same everywhere in the UK?

The councils should be ashamed  :232:
Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:12:40 PM by Doc

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: UK pot holes!
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:24:50 PM
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
I went to Blackpool in the car at Xmas to see my family and was amazed how bad the roads are - there are huge pot holes everywhere  :005:

I don't know if riding in the UK would be any fun looking out for huge holes in the road all the time - is it the same everywhere in the UK?

The councils should be ashamed  :232:

Unfortunately road maintenance seems to be a very low priority in the UK and with council budgets being cut over the last few years the roads departments are getting less money to replace worn out roads and are merely filling holes when they are reported.
there are still some really good roads but they tend to be in more rural areas that don't have the volume of traffic to wear out the surface so quickly.

A lot of damage is being done with the colder winters where roads are falling apart and there is no money to repair them.

The Government would rather spend money on the great unwashed who choose not to work than cater for the majority who contribute to society. Rant over meantime.  :157:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:42:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
Unfortunately road maintenance seems to be a very low priority in the UK and with council budgets being cut over the last few years the roads departments are getting less money to replace worn out roads and are merely filling holes when they are reported.
there are still some really good roads but they tend to be in more rural areas that don't have the volume of traffic to wear out the surface so quickly.

A lot of damage is being done with the colder winters where roads are falling apart and there is no money to repair them.

The Government would rather spend money on the great unwashed who choose not to work than cater for the majority who contribute to society. Rant over meantime.  :157:

I think it is really dangerous, especially at night when you have difficulty seeing these holes. In and around Blackpool the pot holes are really deep - up to a foot! Crazy!  :005:

I never realized how badly the cut-backs are affecting the roads in the UK. It now makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have such good roads over here on mainland Europe. I hope the UK keeps giving Brussels loads of money  :164:  :007:
Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:47:08 PM by Doc

Offline Munch

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:02:27 PM
Obviously the Road Fund License they collect from us to use these roads isn't being spent on their upkeep. 

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Munch [+]
Obviously the Road Fund License they collect from us to use these roads isn't being spent on their upkeep.

Out of interest, what does a 12-month Road Fund License cost for a CT?

I pay €88 for a year here in Germany.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:44:23 PM
£76 per year in the UK, or £41.80 for 6 months

Nonsense considering the amount of cars with bigger engines pay zero or less than a bike

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:03:07 PM
*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
£76 per year in the UK, or £41.80 for 6 months

Nonsense considering the amount of cars with bigger engines pay zero or less than a bike

OK, it's about the same price as here - which is based on CC's and CO² emissions.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 06:16:40 PM
Only CC is taken into account here  :087: