Author Topic: Which camera do you use?  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Which camera do you use?
on: January 06, 2013, 01:09:35 PM
I've done some on-bike videos and they were OK, but now I want to do some proper touring videos and was wondering which cameras you are all using.

I know the GoPro HD is popular, Sony have a new one too, but the Drift HD Ghost looks great.

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/drift-hd-ghost/

I would appreciate your input before parting with my hard-earned cash.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Which camera do you use?
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:15:06 PM
I have 2 GoPro Hero 2 cams, 1 on the front of the bike and one at the back. I`m an instructor and I film the people in front and behind so they can see what they do and hopefully learn if necessary...
Pleased with the results of the cams but not too pleased with the Wifi backpacs, one fried and one just died. The new GoPRo has wifi integrated, I would check them out if I were you.
Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:17:16 PM by Allroadtoad
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:16:54 PM
*Originally Posted by Allroadtoad [+]
I have 2 GoPro Hero 2 cams, 1 on the front of the bike and one at the back. I`m an instructor and I film the people in front and behind so they can see what they do and hopefully learn if necessary...

Do you have any videos on e.g. YouTube?

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 01:21:04 PM
Filmed with cam on suction thingy mounted on the screen, so very wobbly

GO030020 on Vimeo

Filmed with lowest possible resolution...

Thrillseeker Ray Fire on Vimeo
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline jacob

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:58 PM
I use a GoPro Hero 2
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline Bernie

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT, 2012, silver
Which camera do you use?
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:23:06 AM
Well not really answering your question .....
My Drift Ghost should arrive within the next two weeks.

Looks great for me and after having reviewed the training videos from Drift Innovations and having looked at some videos made with it, I ordered it end of last week.

Regards, Bernie

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:40:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Bernie [+]
Well not really answering your question .....
My Drift Ghost should arrive within the next two weeks.

Looks great for me and after having reviewed the training videos from Drift Innovations and having looked at some videos made with it, I ordered it end of last week.

Regards, Bernie

Looking forward to seeing the first videos Bernie. I need to get one for my first trip to the Sauerland on 3rd May - so still time before I need to buy.

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:32 PM
One of the very best camera systems available  (have to warn you the price tag reflects that ) is the Vio Pov HD Camera -sorry I dont understand posting links but a quick Google search will reveal all and is a good read,they are readily available in the UK..Some of the benefits are that only a very discrete  Torpedo camera lens head is on  show ,or can even be  hidden......The controls are relatively  easy to use and mount....The main unit has a screen and can be placed  so its visable--handy for setting up....Amongst various recording options it can be set up to continuosly record for a set time (Like you satellite box at home)  then if you see something say a corner you have just done or a view  all you do is hit the record button and the last  'x' minutes of recording are in the can so you dont have to go back and do it again!!  Finally loads of video can be boring so do check that the camera records in a suitable format/codecs that your software and computer can handle,,HD demands good computer power.The other units you mentioned are both  good , its a bit like  choosing a bike,lots of  reseach and get the one that suits your neads...Just an aside there was some commentabout a year ago I think on the GS forums that cameras of the more obvious type -go pro etc -were frowned upon by the authorities in Germany / France  wondered if you had come across this ..