Author Topic: What should I buy?  (Read 11183 times)

Offline Bitteliten

• Crosstourer Pro
What should I buy?
on: January 02, 2013, 08:46:33 PM
I hope some of you experienced CT owners can give some good advice

I am in discussion with two dealers to buy a new CT. I have tested a 2012 manual gear box, fully loaded with Honda equipment, including high wind screen.
Bike will be used for commuting to work and day trips with my wife. No need for much lugage.
My thoughts so far are
2013 black Special Edition (I really like the matt black details)
heated grips
Givi top box. Dealer does not recommend Honda's top box
MRA windscreen. I have only tested the high Honda screen and that was noisy on my Shoei Xr1100 helmet with silencer kit..
DCT gear box. only based on all positive reviews on web and dealer recommendation

So, what do you think about this package? Anything I should add or take out?

Thanks!

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: What should I buy?
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:24:20 PM
Only the word BLACK..... :150:

unless you enjoy cleaning?  :005:

Ian

Screens are becoming a big issue with this bike, even the big brand names seem to be having problems getting a good airflow worked out and after my TDM experience with the MRA vario (i thought it was rubbish) i personally am happy now with the Honda touring screen and modified brackets (see threads) but you have to consider your pillions comfort as well so it might be better to try other bikes with different screens until the pillion is happy too before buying one.

We are all different though and until someone brings out a way of adjusting the screen position with a knob or a button we seem to be stuck with 'home made fixes'

DCT is brilliant (especially for the passenger)

ask about the servicing package, it is well worth the investment :152:

Ian

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:27:56 AM
As ian has said above the screen seems to be very much down to personal taste but most are looking at an alternative to the standard. If you are taking your wife then DCT is the way to go it is super smooth, personally I bought the manual and used the money for other things as I don't have a pillion on very often.
Givi V46 is enough for me and much better quality than the Honda luggage

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:51:33 AM
Welcome!  The screen is the one thing which is not great about this bike, much trial and error is needed to get to a good set up.
IanM

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:13:47 AM
Make sure you get the DCT especially for two up use.

After that i would make sure i got the heated grips and centre stand. After that you can add panniers etc as you wish. I got the Givi bar and spots which i think are great but arent essential of course.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:09 PM
Hi,
Much discussion on this forum about all the items you raised in your selection, from my own experience and being shorter than many on here i recommend
Candy Red colour.
Heated grips from a alternative supplier or some brand you used before.
Givi top box for sure, its a super product.
I have the Givi tall screen and it suits fine but taller riders on here are not impressed.
Plenty of positive comments on DCT, I hav'nt enough experience of it, it add complexity and servicing costs and is not on the market that long to prove itself. All extras are super when they are under warranty....
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Bitteliten

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:59 PM
Thanks much for good comments!

5 year warranty on Honda in Norway - so by that I am sure all DCT hick ups have been found. Would love to test before order, but I am not so patient.... Still thinking about it for sure.

Heated grips: Honda originals had some water in control box issues - are they solved now? The price does not seem to be solved - it is more than 500€ in Norway  :114: An alternative is Oxford Hot Grips http://www.kellox.no/index.php?id=15719. Anyone with experience with those? They cost 80€...

I found some photos about the all black 2013 SE, and I like that very much. And I do like to clean the bike. And I know what black means - my wife has a black Vespa 300cc  :164:

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:11:53 PM
Re DCT it has been around on the vfr1200 for several years now so just because its new doesn't meant its unreliable-it's not a GS after all  :001: