Author Topic: To SE or not to SE...  (Read 7477 times)

Offline gonzohop

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
To SE or not to SE...
on: January 02, 2013, 06:28:09 PM
Firstly, a big hello to you all - I'm brand new to the forum and very glad I found it.

Anyway, I'm in the final stages of negotiations with my local Honda dealer for a new Crosstourer and I'm struggling with whether to go for the SE version or not. The panniers would definitely be useful - but I only really need a top box, the heated grips a must, the centre-stand only a bonus, and the"accessory" rail - I've been told - not up to much in the event of a spill, really only there to stick some fogs on it?

All this is  nearly £2K extra which seems, on first glance, excessive, but this will be my first adventurer and know very little about the market. I've tried the GS but it's so darn ugly I can't bring myself to own one. The Trumpet is rather nice but the Honda trumps it looks-wise and I've always been a big fan of the V4.  :002:

So any opinions? Any SE owners regret their decision to pay the extra? Or are you totally satisfied with it?

I'll be riding most days, 4-5 hours per day on average and I've not heard many bad things about the big Honda.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year.

Best wishes,

Richard

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Re: To SE or not to SE...
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:41:39 PM
Welcome Richard,
I’m with you on the looks and the engine, more Range Rover than tractor :062:

Buying a bike in the UK at this time of year puts you in control, I would get the best price for the basic bike and then get them to include the heated grips and reconsider the centre stand. 
The Honda top box is only useful if your an hair dresser, go for aftermarket, plenty to choose from.
Good luck
Feet up

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I bought the SE package cos i liked how the luggage looked when on and how the bike looked when off the bike.

Accessory bar = for decoration only (but i like it's looks)
Centre stand = never use it (no chain to oil and anyway bike too heavy for me to pull up easily)
Heated grips = look great and work well (but suffer water ingression probs to control box)
Panniers = look great and work well
Topbox = leaks and will only take a FF helmet if you unzip the expander (known to be called a 'vanity case' by all my mates hence the avatar)

Buy yourself some aftermarket heated grips and a decent topbox/plate and spend the rest on DUAL CLUTCH TRANSMISSION  :152:

Oh...

and Welcome  :031:

Ian

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:12:29 AM
I would ignore the SE option and price quality aftermarket. You will save a fortune and exactly what you like.

Good choice on the motor  :046:

Offline revenue

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XCE,
  • City / Town: Mukdahan/ UK
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:40:12 AM
 :0461: Great engine! Manual or Auto ? to me depends on the person!
I have a SE model, i feel now it was a waste of money! heated grips to hot here in Thailand to use, panniers look the part but i feel the slightest knock they would be knackered, the SE crash bar look the part but no strength to take a knock, i love the centre stand always use when working on the bike.
The screens seems to be a different problem for me,  :230: :230: trying to find the optimum position, or maybe i am just getting to old!!

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:18:35 AM
Save the money and buy aftermarket accessories that you need. not impressed with the price tag on the Honda luggage and it does appear well overpriced for plastic luggage.

Personally I use a Givi V46 top box and it can hold enough for a week in Spain.

I added the heated grips and centre stand as they are what I use and bought some Hepco & Becker crash bars because at least they are designed to help save the bike not look pretty.

Very much an individual choice but the main thing is you are happy with whatver you decide.

p.s.  :400: to the forum

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:49:38 AM
Welcome aboard!  I bought the ordinary model, with the dealer adding heated grips and centre stand.  Luggage, I added myself from Givi.
3,000 miles on, no regrets - and I like the comment about it being more Range Rover than tractor, that's very accurate!
IanM

Offline gonzohop

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:20:16 AM
*Originally Posted by Feet up [+]
The Honda top box is only useful if your an hair dresser

Haha! Love it. Thanks for the heads-up.  :047:

*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
Topbox = leaks and will only take a FF helmet if you unzip the expander (known to be called a 'vanity case' by all my mates hence the avatar)

I didn't know this - thanks - that would have been disastrous for me - the box will have loads of paperwork in it!

*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
... and spend the rest on DUAL CLUTCH TRANSMISSION  :152:

Yep, I'm going towards DCT - looks amazing.  :001:

*Originally Posted by GS TRV [+]
I would ignore the SE option and price quality aftermarket. You will save a fortune and exactly what you like.

Thanks - I think this is exactly what I'm going to do.

*Originally Posted by revenue [+]
I have a SE model, i feel now it was a waste of money!

Thanks - this is the sort of honest opinion I was looking for.  :152:

*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
not impressed with the price tag on the Honda luggage and it does appear well overpriced for plastic luggage.

Agreed.

*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
... and bought some Hepco & Becker crash bars because at least they are designed to help save the bike not look pretty.

Again, agreed - I'll look in to a set of these.

*Originally Posted by IanM [+]
I bought the ordinary model, with the dealer adding heated grips and centre stand.

I think this is what I'll do, although I'm not sure I'd benefit massively with the centre stand. I generally would only use one to adjust and oil-up a chain - obviously something I don't need to worry about with the CT.  :152:

*Originally Posted by revenue [+]
The screens seems to be a different problem for me

This seems to be a common problem and is making me a little worried - is it really that bad? I'm 5'10". Anyone here a similar height able to cast a view on this?

Thanks for all the great and informative replies everyone. Massively appreciated. I've decided on the standard DCT version. I'll haggle some heated grips in and see what they can do on centre stand. I quite like the look of the Hepco & Becker luggage and their crash bars. I am a little worried about the screen issues though. I'll see if I can go for an extended test ride. Will keep you posted.  :152:

Many thanks.

Richard

arab-exile