Author Topic: How to lift the tank ?  (Read 9520 times)

Offline robman

• Crosstourer Member
How to lift the tank ?
on: December 31, 2012, 12:44:22 PM
Hi everybody , 

I want to install a 12v socket to have some juice for my car navigation or iphone on the road .
Already looked and searched and read a lot on this forum for a solution to have this close to the dashboard .
Read also how to remove the side panier on the left . There should be some sockets where you can get the 12v . But here stops my technical knowledge .
On my former Duc Monster S4 , I installed warmed handgrips and this connection was directly placed on the battery .
Since this is a very easy way to install , it is my favorite option .

But ,

How can you lift the tank on the CT?
Just by removing the twe bolts in the front and lift the thing ?
Or is it necessary to remove al the plastic bodywork arround it ?

Thanks in advance for any input

Bought my CT in july 2012 , and already 8000 km .... loving the bike more and more each day . :028:

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
Re: How to lift the tank ?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:24:23 PM
Hi Robman.
Not really a direct answer to your question but i've managed to fit accessory leads from the battery to the front of the bike through the small gaps under the tank that you can see once the side panels have been removed. Admittedly it's a bit tricky to pass the wire through, but so far it's worked ok for satnav and driving light feeds. Good luck  :028:

Offline GS TRV

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Belfast
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 04:28:34 PM
Ive no idea - i just pay the dealer to do that stuff  :174:

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:40:02 PM
*Originally Posted by GS TRV [+]
Ive no idea - i just pay the dealer to do that stuff  :174:
Hi gs trv;
I get a lot more satisfaction breaking things myself, much more fun than paying for a dealer's apprentice to break them.   :002:
P.s.   Happy new year and here's to a good 2013

Offline moli

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:03:46 PM
Yes, you must remove al the plastic bodywork arround it and only after you can remove the 2 bolts and lift the tank.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:07:12 PM
Hi Robman,
I have lifted the tank earlier in the year so it is a little old in my mind now but the fuel tank hinges at the rear, when you remove the seat you will see the hinge point. I was fitting crash bars at the same time as the power socket so had the side panels removed anyway but I am sure you must remove then to allow the swing movement of the tank. the vent hoses of the tank are at the rear and will move with the tank and i think the wiring to the fuel pump/fuel gauge also moves. the 2 plastic tank side panels also must come off and require delicate hands to clip then off then its just the 2 bolts at the headstock that secure the tank.
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 08:31:44 PM
Just a thought. If your lifting the tank consider running a spare wire for any future options you may want to fit. Save lifting the tank again. You could spiral wrap the two together.

Offline robman

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:25:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies . :047:

@thetrecker :
by saing that the removal of the side panels , you have to work carefully ...do you mean the black side panels directly near the the tank or the sidepanels more upfront ?

lifting the tank with all the wiring for the inj. pump and hoses won't cause any trouble i guess ...I really just want to lift the tank a bit so I can put the cable undernead on a proper way .