Author Topic: engine bars/crash bars on a dct  (Read 12180 times)

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
engine bars/crash bars on a dct
on: December 08, 2012, 08:45:11 PM
I noticed on another thread that if fitting Givi engine bars to a dct then part of the dual clutch cover needs to be cut away to be able to mount the bars on the right hand side. I'm guessing that if the genuine Honda bars are fitted then no modifying is required, trouble is i hate the look of the Honda bars. Can any dct owners with aftermarket engine bars fitted give us any info on wether any mods are required or do the bars fit ok.

thanks . . . Terry

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: engine bars/crash bars on a dct
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:36:00 PM
The Honda bars fit without fiddling with the bike BUT:
_ they`re ugly
_ not half as sturdy as you would want them to be, their main objective is to look fashionable I presume
_ Pricey buggers too
_ O yeah, they`re ugly!

Your call!
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:03:00 AM
The Honda bars are not designed as crash bars according to my dealer, they are basically a place to mount the additional lights they sell. If you want protection then aftermarket is the place to look.
Personally I went for the Hepco & Becker bars as I have previously used them but I have a manual so can't speak as to whether or not they hit the DCT cover like the Givi bars

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:59:52 PM
Had another look on the Hepco and Becker website and among the fitting instructions it states that the Crosstourer bars are "only for the model with manual transmission" so that rules them out. On the R and G website the gallery pictures of the bars look as though they are fitted to a dct but i'm not 100% sure so i've emailed them for confirmation. Fingers crossed as the Honda bars really spoil the look of the bike and seem pretty flimsy too.   

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:05:20 PM
I`d go for the givi bars, my 0,02 cts
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Bernie

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT, 2012, silver
engine bars/crash bars on a dct
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:37:43 PM
I am happy with the Givi bars (on a manual clutch). I trust them and for me they are looking OK. I have to state, that I'm using the bike to ride and not to win beauty competitions ;-)
With the Varadero I had three occasions, where I was really happy to have bars mounted. So function is the only thing that counts for me.

Bernie

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:45:35 AM
Do the Givi bars add much weight to the bike, as Im also thinking of buying some in the near future

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:27:20 AM
Can’t agree that the Honda bar is ugly, maybe not as agricultural as some on the market but sufficient for what they were designed to do. I was corrected by my dealer when I called it a crash bar, he said it was only an accessory bar to mount the option for running lights.
Feet up

arab-exile